We all need a little stuffing in our lives!
What happened guys? It is almost the end of the year already, and we have hit holiday time! This vegan sausage, leek and apple stove top stuffing is an absolute must for all your holiday feasting! Browned tempeh crumbles, seasoned with poultry seasoning. Sauteed with leeks and apples. All this amazing sweet and saltiness is tossed on the stove top with bread cubes and veggie broth. It smells like all the holidays and I love it.
Stove top stuffing that came in a box was one of my favorite things as a kid! This tastes like that, except a little bit fancier, since I’m a real adult now.
My husband and I were talking about what other recipes I should work on before Thanksgiving, and we both came to the consensus that would could never have a Thanksgiving meal without stuffing. So, I knew I had to work on my own unique spin on stuffing. We always had stuffing with something sweet in it to balance out the salt. My dad usually used cranberries, but I decided on apples!
The onion flavor from the leek, the salty and herby tempeh sausage and the sweetness from the cooked apples, all together, is incredible! Not only that, but this is such a quick recipe, you can make this right before you plan to eat, because there is very little involved in this recipe. It just seems like it took forever because it is so dang good! Stove top stuffing for life!
Vegan Sausage, Leek and Apple Stove Top Stuffing
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 8 ounces Tempeh
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Poultry seasoning
- 1 Leek, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups (about 2) Apples, I used Fuji, chopped
- 12 Ounces Bread cubes or stuffing bread, I used Whole Foods brand
- 3 Cups Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium high. Then crumble your tempeh into the pot. Crumble into small pieces resembling sausage.
- Brown the tempeh crumbles, reducing heat as needed. Stirring frequently until the tempeh is all brown. About 5-7 minutes. Season with 1/2 a teaspoon of poultry seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then add the chopped leek and the chopped apples to the pot. Saute everything together until the leeks and apples are cooked. Another 3-5 minutes.
- Then add the veggie broth. Heat on low for a minute.
- Now stir the bread cubes into the pot to combine everything, and let the bread soak up the broth. Add a splash more broth if it is still too dry for you.
- Next, add the remaining 1 Teaspoon of poultry seasoning and another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately, or if you make ahead, you can reheat the stuffing with a few more splashes of broth. Enjoy!