This vegan sage and sausage stuffing is a stove top recipe. Which is my very favorite kind of stuffing for a number of reasons. One, it is super fast, like you sauté veggies and sausage with herbs. Add broth, simmer, add bread. Done. It’s that easy. Two, it stays moist and super yummy! I am all about stuffing in any form, but I feel like when you bake it, it dries out a bit. This stuffing is ready in no time and is so dang good!
For this recipe, to really hone in on the fall theme, I used a vegan maple breakfast sausage. However, you can use your favorite vegan sausage. Any kind will work, you can just crumble it up. Even if you are using links. Us vegans are pretty lucky nowadays, we have so many options for fake meat. I know a lot of people don’t like meat alternatives, but I personally love them! So you can pick from a lot of different sausages.
I used Farmland Breakfast Patties that I crumbled. I also recommend Field Roast, Beyond Meat, or Lightlife. Any kind that you can break up and brown will work. When I think about all of the side dishes that I absolutely can’t do without for Thanksgiving or winter holiday meals, stuffing is always one of them. It is one of my favorite things ever and you can do so much with the leftovers! Make fried stuffing cakes, put a layer on a leftover sandwich. Add to “meat” loaf. This vegan sage and sausage stuffing stays good in the fridge for a long time and it even stays nice and moist. Perfect to just reheat and relive the amazing holiday meal all over again! You will never make stuffing any other way again.
Vegan Sage and Sausage Stuffing
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 12 Ounces Vegan sausage, crumbled(I used Farmland patties)
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 3 Celery stalks, diced
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sage, dried*
- 1/4 Cup Apple cider or apple juice(not apple cider vinegar)
- 2 Cups Vegetable broth + more if needed
- 12 Ounces Bread cubes or stuffing bread, I used Whole Foods brand
- Heat the vegan butter in a large pot on medium high.
- Then add the vegan sausage crumbles and brown, reducing heat as needed. It make take 3-5 minutes.
- Next add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Toss to combine with the sausage. Sauté until the onion is translucent, and the other veggies have softened 5-7 minutes.
- Season with the sage and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Now, add the apple cider or apple juice and use it to scrap any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Then add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the bread cubes and toss to combine and let the bread soak up all the broth. If any of the bread is still dry, add more broth as needed.
- Taste the stuffing and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.