Rainbow carrots are my fave. I know it is silly, they don’t really taste different, but they are just so damn beautiful. They remind me how astoundingly gorgeous nature can be. Sometimes I need a reminder of this, sometimes I forget how beautiful the world is. My empathy is perhaps too consuming, so I get down every time I read all the terrible things happening in the world, and I need a reminder. A reminder of what I love about the world and what I am trying to accomplish. That is a lot to go into to introduce rainbow carrot cake cookies, but ya know…every once in a while I need to get stuff off my chest. I heal through food, I want others to see the beauty I see in what I create, with my hands. I make something that nourishes you from many separate ingredients that when combined become an entirely different entity. Rainbow carrots take me right back to my happy place.
When I was a teenager, the first vegan baked good I had was carrot cake. I was amazed that vegan baking was possible, I was excited and intrigued and I knew I wanted more! Carrot cake takes me back to that moment, and gives me warm and tingly feels. My brother had purchased How it All Vegan (I highly recommend it). This was a first tryst with Veganism, we were so interested in this way of life and ready to go. This book changed me. So in honor of my very first vegan cake here is my rendition.
1 1/4 C. All purpose flour
1/2 C. Quick cooking oats
1 tsp. Baking soda
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Vegan butter ( I use Earth Balance)
1/2 C. White sugar
1/2 C. Brown sugar
1 Flax egg (2 Tbsp. Flax meal+3 Tbsp. Water)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 C. Rainbow carrots (shredded)
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting ( Recipe below)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream together vegan butter and sugars. Add in the flax egg and vanilla until combined in creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and using an electric mixer or stand mixer, mix until just combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots and put the bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and scoop a Tablespoon of dough onto a baking sheet that has parchment paper or a silicon pad.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and let cool.
1/2 C. Vegan Cream cheese( I used Daiya)
1/4 C. Vegan butter
1/2 C. Vegetable Shortening
3 C. Powdered sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt
Whip all the ingredients until smooth and fluffy. Slather on a cookie and top it with another cookie!