Quesadilla+Burrito=Quesaritos a.k.a The most glorious food to ever touch your tongue.
Put on some socks, because these vegan quesaritos are about to knock them off. A semi copy cat of the Taco Bell version. A quesadilla filled with vegan cheese is then used as the shell of a burrito. Filled with rice, delicious Mexican tofu, a chipotle crema and cilantro. It is literally the best thing ever. Perfect for a late night “junk” food craving, but actually fairly healthy so you can really have yourself a vegan quesarito any time you like!
The chipotle crema makes this quesarito. It is literally one of the best sauces I have ever tasted! You CAN NOT skip the sauce. Seriously. Drizzle it on the inside, then maybe dip the quesarito into more chipotle crema.
Then all you need is to make some rice. I actually often prep that ahead of time, and put it in the fridge until I am ready to use it. Then the Mexican spiced tofu is sooooo easy. Squeeze some of the liquid out of the tofu, crumble, spice it up and saute. Put rows of tofu, rice, a bit more vegan cheese and chipotle sauce inside the quesadilla. Roll and bake.
My goodness, it is amazing. I can not stop eating these babies. I left half of one for my husband to try, he ate it, then immediately walked to the kitchen and made another one. So…. I guess I am not alone here!
Give these vegan quesaritos a try, you will probably find yourself daydreaming about them. Maybe at work, you’re a little bored, your mind starts wandering, where does it go? Vegan quesaritos!
- First start by making the rice. You want 1/2 uncooked, so you will have about a cup when it is cooked. Cook rice according to package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, make the tofu. Taking 1/2 a block of tofu, squeeze the tofu over the sink to try to get a lot of the liquid out of it. Try not to crumble it into the sink, but if it starts to break, no worries, you will be doing that anyways!
- Now heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet on medium high. Now crumble the tofu into the skillet, breaking up larger pieces with a wooden spoon. Saute the tofu until it starts to get brown. 2-3 minutes. Then add the chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and cayenne. Stir to coat the tofu. Saute for another minute just to cook the spices. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the rice is done, remove that from the heat and set aside.
- Now make your quesadilla, you want to just melt the cheese and not brown the quesadilla, or it won't roll easily. Heat a non stick pan on medium low, add one tortilla, then cover with half of the cheese, spread evenly. Cover with a top and melt a bit. Now add a tiny bit of water to help it steam. Cover.
- Once the cheese has melted a bit. Top with the other tortilla, press down. Flip for just a second to make sure the tortillas hold together. Then remove from the pan. Repeat with the other tortillas and remaining cheese to make another soft quesadilla.
- Now preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Next, make the chipotle creama. Just add all the crema ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Once the quesadillas have cooled enough to handle. Take one, fill with a little bit of rice, a bit of tofu, a little more vegan cheese, the chipotle crema and some cilantro.
- Now fold in the ends, and roll into a burrito. Repeat with other quesadilla. Then either place the burritos on a pan, or wrap them in foil. Then bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes until they are all nice and warm and crispy.
- Now eat them!!!!!!!