This dish of vegan potatoes and rice with harissa broth is truly breath-taking. Fluffy rice, the perfect golden brown roasted potatoes. With creamy harissa broth poured over them. It is simple, elegant and will make people think you are a master chef. The baby potatoes are roasted cut side down on a lot of olive oil. Making them the perfect brown and tender potatoes. While you roast the potatoes, you just make the rice and then the super easy broth. I used powder/dried harissa, but harissa paste will work too!
What You Need For This Perfectly Roasted Potatoes Dish:
- Baby Potatoes: I used yukon gold.
- Shallot and Garlic: Once the potatoes are roasting, you can start the broth with these.
- Vegetable Broth and Coconut Milk: These are the liquids for the broth.
- Harissa: I used Harissa powder, but Harissa paste works too.
- Cayenne and Paprika: For the potatoes and the broth.
- Rice: Just some simple steamed rice to add to the bowl with potatoes and broth.
The rice in this dish soaks up all the harissa broth! Making this vegan potatoes and rice dish so freaking good. This meal can all be thrown together in about 30-45 minutes, just the time it takes to roast the potatoes. This is also the best meal to customize and add any veggies you want to it. It would be incredible with some green beans or broccoli.
Why Should You Make These Potatoes and Rice?
- The method in which you roast these potatoes alone makes this perfect.
- The broth is ahhhmazing.
- The steamed rice soaks up the broth so perfectly.
- A bite of potato, rice, broth and a bit of cilantro on top is glorious.
- Super fast and uses very few ingredients.
Vegan Potatoes and Rice with Harissa Broth
For The Roasted Potatoes
For The Broth
For The Rest
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice
- Cilantro for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Cut the baby potatoes in half and put them in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a large sheet pan. Spread it out evenly over the whole pan.
- Place the potatoes, cut side down onto the sheet pan in a single layer. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- While the potatoes roast, start the broth. In a large skillet with a capacity for 4 cups of liquid, heat the oil on medium high.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the skillet and sauté, reducing heat as needed until the shallot is translucent. About 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the harissa, paprika and cayenne into the skillet and stir to combine everything. Let sauté for another minute.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the skillet, stir to combine, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and medium low. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the rice according to package directions.
- Once the both has simmered for 10 minutes, remove the cover and pour in the coconut milk, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir and then cover and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Once the potatoes and rice are done, serve a bowl of potatoes and rice with the broth poured over the top. Top with chopped cilantro if desired.