The best vegan chicken nuggets. Fry sauce. The end.
Vegan potato chip crusted chicken nuggets are perfect. I tested out a lot of vegan chicken nugget bases, and was not going to rest until I found the best recipe. These nuggets are chickpea and vital wheat gluten based. They are firm but not too firm, moist but not too moist, they taste amazing, they are sooooo easy, they have the most amazing salty chip coating, they are everything. They will not fall apart, they get so lovely and crunchy on the outside even though they are just baked.
Did I mention, these vegan potato chip crusted chicken nuggets are everything? So let’s talk about the dipping sauce. My wacky brain works a bit differently, and when I considered what the best sauce for these vegan nuggets would be, I realized dipping potato chip crusted chicken nuggets into fry sauce is literally the greatest idea ever.
Now, you can totally dip these in ketchup, or BBQ sauce, or whatever you want, but this sauce is really quick to whip up, and you shan’t regret it.
This recipe makes a lot of nuggets, so you can feed a family with this one. If I only want to make half the batch, I will just save half the dough for later. It can just be wrapped up and it keeps well in the fridge for a while. Then just shape the nuggets when you are ready to bake them.
I don’t think anything can top these chickpea chicken nuggets with fry sauce. My kid loves them and so does everyone else!
Vegan Potato Chip Crusted Chicken Nuggets with Fry Sauce
Potato Chip Crusted Nuggets
- 1 15oz. Can Chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 C. Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2/3 C. Vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
For the Crust
- 2 C. Potato chips, crushed fine
- 1/2 C. Vegetable broth
Vegan Fry Sauce
- 1/2 C. Vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tsp. Pickle juice
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, add the drained can of chickpeas. Mash them with a fork or potato masher until there are no whole chickpeas left.
- Now add in the olive oil, veggie broth and soy sauce. Stir to combine with the mashed chickpeas.
- Now add in the vital wheat gluten, panko, and seasonings. Stir to combine, then when it starts to get doughy and hard to stir, begin to knead it with your hands.
- Now sprinkle some vital wheat gluten on to a surface you can knead on, turn the dough out onto the surface and knead for about 3 minutes until the mixture gets firm and stringy.
- Next, coat the nuggets, crush potato chips, I like to put them in a ziploc bag and smash them with a rolling pin or cup. You will need about 1 1/2- 2 cups of potato chip crumbs. Pour them into a bowl.
- Then add the 1/2 cup of veggie broth to another bowl.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray, then take about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of the chickpea dough, roll into a ball, then flatten into a nugget shape.
- Next, dip the nugget into the veggie broth, then press down into the potato chips. If you are having a hard time getting them to stick, just press down hard, and you can reshape the nugget a bit when you are done.
- Repeat with all the dough, then place them each on the baking sheet. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- While the nuggets are baking , make the sauce, Just whisk everything together in a mixing bowl, taste and adjust seasonings, then set aside.
- When the nuggets are done, serve immediately with the sauce.