I messed up, yes, while coming up with your own recipes and ideas (mostly while half asleep), sometimes you mess up and end up putting things straight in the garbage. This makes me very sad, but more than that, I say f*#@&$ you universe. Challenge accepted. So, I started over completely. This recipe has almost none of the same components or methods as the original I wrote, and they are sooooooo good. I can’t stop eating them.
They are extrodinarily delicious just by themselves, but my serving suggestions are red pepper jelly, roasted tomato hummus(which I will also write about) or vegan goat cheese!
Please enjoy! The idea behind this recipe just came from my obsession with pesto. Pesto was one of my favorite pasta toppings as a kid, but my parents always used store bought. For the longest time I thought pesto must be very difficult to make. It is actually one of the easiest things to make and so are these crackers!
2 C. All purpose flour
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Dry basil
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
Zest of one lemon
6 Tbsp. Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2/3 C. Water
1. Preheat oven to 400. In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients, and lemon zest.
2. Using cold vegan butter, break in to small pieces, and pulse in food processor until small pea sized pieces of dough form.
3. Add olive oil and while the food processor is on stream in water until a ball of dough forms.
4. Put dough on a floured surface, adding more flour to dough if needed until no longer sticky. Kneading until smooth ball forms.
5. Roll out as thin as you want your crackers. I rolled mine really thin so they would be crispy.
6. Cut with cookie cutter, and place on pan that has parchment paper or silicone mats.
7. Prickly holes into crackers, brush with melted earth balance and sprinkle with more salt.
8. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes. Serve with dip or on their own!!