Truth time. I am dreaming of fall. I hate summer, and every summer I count the days until the official start of fall. I love everything about fall, the food, the drinks, the weather, Halloween for f’s sake. So…dreaming of fall here is a little nod to fall that makes me super happy. It had my house smelling like cinnamon and nutmeg, that makes me smile.
Ahhh…the humble pear. I feel like it is very under used and under appreciated. Why should apples have all the fun?
We bought some organic pears last weekend, and I have been dying to put them to good use. So, here is a fall inspired pear treat!
1 C. Vegan butter ( I use Earth Balance )
2 C. Brown sugar
1/2 C. Apple sauce
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking soda
2 C. All purpose flour
3 tsp. Cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
A pinch of salt
2 Pears ( chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl, cream vegan butter and brown sugar.
2. Add apple sauce and vanilla.
3. Sift dry ingredients.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet a little at a time. Mixing just until combined.
5. Toss chopped pears in a little flour to soak up some of the juice. Stir pears into batter.
6. Spray a 13×9 pan with non stick spray. Pour batter into pan.
7. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Eat as is or top with a simple glaze of powdered sugar and almond milk.