A few weeks ago, my husband and I took our almost four year old Lenore blueberry picking. We may have gone a wee bit over board. So, I have made blueberry waffels, pancakes, crumbles, muffins and so many other things. I decided to finish them off by making preserves. I was blueberried out. Until I was looking through an old Southern Living cookbook and saw peanut butter bread. I said to myself, “self, let’s veganize this, make it healthier and slap some of that jelly I made in it.”
Thus, vegan peanut butter and jelly bread was born! It is refined sugar free, dairy free, egg free and totally to die for. I slathered some vegan butter on top while it was still warm, and I almost collapsed. Please enjoy and be happy!
1/2 C. Sugar of choice( I used coconut sugar, but white sugar works, or any non refined sugar)
3/4 C. Natural peanut butter
1/4 C. Apple sauce
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 C. All purpose flour
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 C. Almond milk
1/3 C. Jelly of choice( I used blueberry, but whatever it your favorite)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cream together sugar and peanut butter.
2. Mix in applesauce and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the peanut butter mixture until everything is incorporated.
5. In a loaf pan prepared with non stick spray, put half of the batter, then spread jelly on top. You can use as much jelly as you want! Just make sure there is enough covering the layer. You can make it really thick if you want, though.
6. Spread remaining batter on top making sure to cover all the jelly.
7. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Eat with vegan butter or more jelly, or if you are my husband, toast vegan marshmallows on top!