I still ate meat when McDonald’s came out with their McGriddle breakfast sandwiches. I was in my early teens, and my dad was busy, so he would often swing by and get us breakfast. It was then I discovered the glory of pancakes and sausage living in sweet harmony. I have never forgotten the McGriddle, however, I will never eat another one for obvious reasons. So, I wanted to create something super simple, healthy(ish), and really, really delicious with a similar flavor.
Here it is, my sausage and pancake fix. The vegan pancake and sausage muffin. One bowl, 10 ingredients, 15 minutes. You can make these ahead of time, and warm them up when you are ready for a really quick breakfast. Top with some syrup, and you are ready to go. You can use your favorite vegan sausage, I tried this with patties and the kind that is in a tube that you can crumble immediately, and they both worked perfect.
These pancake muffins are super fluffy due to the addition of extra baking powder. My muffins got some serious height! They taste just like a super delicious pancake, but you can hold it in your hand. Also, I would like to note that I actually hate cooking pancakes. I hate making a few at a time, and watching and waiting patiently until enough bubbles has risen on the top so I know I can flip it. It is tedious, and I get bored easily.
This is the solution, all these little cuties baked at the same time, super quickly, and they have made me so happy! I am constantly trying to think of quick breakfast ideas for my husband. He teaches the fourth grade and has to be at school at 7:30 am. So, if he doesn’t have a grab and go option, he just won’t eat, then he feels super crappy throughout the day. If you feel this pain, and have a similar problem, try these out. Make them Sunday evening, and each morning, toast one, put a little syrup on top and you are ready to eat!
I hope you love these pancake and sausage muffins as much as I do, and pssstt…no one will ever know they are vegan I promise. Everyone will just become aware that you are on top of your breakfast game!
Vegan Pancake and Sausage Muffins
- 1 1/2 C. All purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar, coconut or organic white
- 1 1/4 C. Almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. Flax+3 Tbsp. Water
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut oil,melted
- 1 C. Vegan sausage, crumbled. I used Gimme Lean Sausage from Lightlife
- 1 Tbsp. Oil, for cooking the sausage
- Maple syrup for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the vegan sausage in a non stick pan with a little oil until brown, and make sure it is in crumbles. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Make your flax egg, by mixing the flax and water together, set aside for a minute to thicken. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add the flax egg, almond milk and coconut oil to the center.
- Whisk everything together until fully combined. Add the cooked sausage crumbles and stir until the sausage is incorporated.
- Spray a muffin pan really well with non stick spray. Fill each muffin hole 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with maple syrup! You can store them in the fridge for a few days for a quick on the go breakfast.