Less work = Awesome
This vegan oven risotto is my new jam! Quick and easy, not much hands on cooking at all and still that perfect creamy risotto I know and love! Made even creamier with some amazing thick, delicious AND oil-free pesto! When I was in culinary school, we had to be able to make perfect risotto. I remember loving it so much, but thinking, I probably won’t make this for myself. It is time consuming and completely hands on and I’m pretty lazy.
So this vegan oven risotto is the answer to all of my risotto problems! You just stir and simmer on the stove top for a few minutes, and then put in the oven. The oven finishes the job and it’s awesome! If you have ever made risotto, you know you have to stand and stir it. Adding a little bit of broth at a time. This eliminates all of that work.
It is so creamy and yummy all on it’s own. Then add this amazing pesto and you will be a pretty happy camper! I added chives to my classic basil pesto and I am in love. I like to stir about half the pesto into the risotto and put more on top.
I also LOVE to serve this vegan oven risotto with roasted veggies. Charred broccoli is a favorite of mine, but it would be great with your choice of protein as well. This perfect plant-based meal also happens to be naturally gluten-free. So most everyone can enjoy!
Vegan Oven Risotto with Pesto
Vegan Oven Risotto
- Roasted Broccoli, optional
- Vegan Parmesan, I used Violife
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven safe pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add the chopped shallots.
- Saute the shallots for about 3-5 minutes or until the shallots are translucent. Reducing heat as needed.
- Then, add the arborio rice to the pot, and stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute the rice for about 2 minutes.
- Now, pour the white wine into the pot. Stir and simmer for about 3 more minutes or until most of the wine has been absorbed.
- Next, add the 2 cups of vegetable broth. Stir. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then put the pot into the oven.
- Bake the risotto in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until all of the broth has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- While the risotto is baking, make the pesto. Add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the pesto is smooth. You can always add another splash of vegetable broth if it is thicker than you would like. Set aside.
- When the risotto is done baking, remove it from the oven. Then stir the vegan butter and nutritional yeast into the risotto.
- Next, stir about half of the pesto into the risotto, saving the rest for topping. Then taste the risotto and adjust seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately! I like to serve with roasted broccoli or crispy tofu.