The day I discovered satay was a day that went down in history as one of the best days of my life. Most of my best days are based on food experiences, I’m not sure what that says about me, but I digress. I was a kid at my favorite Asian restaurant, and my dad suggested I give it a try. The rest is history. I keep trying to find ways to keep satay in my life, and here is a great way. This vegan orange peanut tofu satay noodle salad!
Super simple and healthy, this noodle salad is gluten-free and refined sugar-free as well. I used rice noodles, that take a quick bath in some boiling water, and then are chilled in cold water. The tofu gets a quick sauté, then gets a little dose of my orange peanut dressing! Everything is thrown together with veggies and the remaining dressing.
There you have it. Super flavorful and can be served cold in the summer and warm in the winter making it incredibly versatile! The real star of this noodle salad show is the orange peanut dressing! Crazy delicious, 2 minutes to throw together and there is a very familiar peanut sauce flavor with a twist!
The orange juice in the recipe that replaces what would usually be water makes this dressing unique and out of this world! It is just the right thickness to coat all the noodles and veggies and tofu! I am obsessed.
I like to eat it cold, but feel free to enjoy it hot or cold depending on your mood. So, give it a try see what your favorite way of eating this salad is. Either way, it is certain to be a hit at any table!
Vegan Orange Peanut Tofu Satay Noodle Salad
Orange Peanut Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 1 Clove Garlic, grated
For the Salad
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 8 oz. Box Rice noodles
- 1/2 Cup Cabbage,grated
- 1/3 Cup Carrots, grated
- 2 Green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, cut your tofu into strips, then place in a single layer on some paper towels, top with more towels, and place something heavy on top. Press the tofu to get a good amount of liquid out for at least 15 minutes(the longer the better)
- While the tofu is pressing, make the orange peanut dressing. Add all the dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and whisk until everything is fully combined. It may take a minute to smooth out the peanut butter. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Now start boiling water for the rice noodles.
- While you are bringing the water to a boil, heat the oil in a non stick pan on medium high. Add the strips of tofu and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Let the tofu cook on each side for a 1-3 minutes until they are nice and golden brown. Rotate tofu only once it is brown on the side it is on. Flipping too soon could cause the tofu to stick.
- Add the noodles to the water whenever it is ready. Cook according to the package,( I used the preparation for a cold noodle dish. Cooking the noodles for 2 minutes, then draining and running under cold water). Remove from the water once done and set aside.
- Once the tofu is nice and brown, add 1/4 Cup of the orange peanut dressing to the pan. Turn off the heat and toss to coat the tofu.
- Let the noodles and tofu cool a bit. Then add the noodles, shredded veggies and tofu to a large bowl. Toss with the remaining dressing and top with chopped cilantro and peanuts if desired. Serve immediately or chill completely and serve really cold.