These vegan one pot brothy lentils and chorizo are served with crusty bread. This is very important, as you will definitely want that bread to dip in all the incredible broth. Simple, one pot and about as easy as it gets. This lentil and chorizo dish is so flavorful. Inspired by Spanish lentils, they are seasoned with smoked paprika, cumin, and lemon. Started with garlic, onion, carrot, sun-dried tomato and tomato sauce. You’ll find yourself totally obsessed with this perfect comfort food!
What You Need For This Incredible Lentil Dish:
- Olive Oil: You want to start with a little oil to brown the soyrizo and then the veggies.
- Soyrizo: I usually get my soyrizo at Whole Foods, Sprouts or Trader Joe’s.
- Carrot, Onion, Garlic, Sun-dried Tomatoes: These are the veggies that start the lentils.
- Tomato Sauce, Smoked Paprika, and Cumin: To flavor the lentils.
- Green or Brown Lentils: Your favorite kind of lentils will work!
- Broth: Vegan Chicken, vegan beef or just plain vegetable works.
- Lemon Juice: For some much needed acid.
- Crusty Bread: I used ciabatta. I like to spread vegan goat cheese on the bread and toast it in the oven.
For some reason, every time the weather starts to cool off, I crave lentils. I feel like there is just something so comforting about them. These vegan one pot brothy lentils and chorizo are probably my favorite lentils of all time. They are a little spicy, smoky, and little tangy. A scoop of these lentils and chorizo on the crusty, cheese laden bread will be life changing. This is a very budget friendly, to eat your protein, feed a crowd and love every second of it.
Why Should You Make This Vegan Spanish Inspired Meal?
- This meal is so incredibly delicious!
- One pot meals are where it is at.
- It is gluten-free!
- This is a mostly hands-off. Once you get everything simmering, sit back and relax.
- Very budget friendly!
Vegan One Pot Brothy Lentils and Chorizo
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil, divided
- 12 Ounces Soyrizo
- 1 Large Carrots, chopped
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Jar(8-9 oz) Sun dried tomatoes, chopped*
- 1/4 Cup Canned tomato sauce (tomato puree not ketchup)
- 1 1/2 Cups Lentils, green or brown
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 6 Cups Broth, vegan beef, vegan chicken or vegetable
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crusty bread for serving
- Vegan goat cheese or other soft cheese for the bread**
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick pot. Add the soyrizo and break into crumbles with a wooden spoon.
- Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the soyrizo is cooked and golden brown on the outside. Remove from the pot, put in a bowl and set aside.
- Now, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high in the same pot. Add the carrots, onion and garlic. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the onion is translucent. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add the sun-dried tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Then add the lentils, smoked paprika and cumin. Stir to combine everything.
- Pour the broth and lemon juice into the pot as well as another pinch of salt and pepper. Stir. Then bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low, so it is at a soft boil. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Most of the broth should be absorbed, but it should still be a bit "brothy". Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, and lemon if needed.
- Add the cooked soyrizo back to the pot. Stir and let simmer for another minute just to reheat the soyrizo.
- Serve in a bowl. I like to serve with slices of crusty bread. I spread vegan goat cheese onto the slices and then toast in the oven or air fry them. Then use those to dip in the broth!