Tater tot casserole or hot dish, whatever you call it, it’s freaking amazing!
Yes, you heard right. VEGAN MEXICAN TATER TOT CASSEROLE. Did you know most tater tots are vegan? Did you know you are only about 20-30 minutes away from the best damn meal of your life? Well, here it is. This is great for so many occasions, perfect for large or small families, healthy and kid friendly! I probably don’t need to tell you I’m obsessed.
You can’t get much simpler than this tater tot casserole. The filling is tvp, black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes and taco seasoning. This only takes about 5 minutes. Then you just pour into a casserole dish, top with frozen tater tots and vegan cheese. Then bake.
To get all fancy, I like to put toppings on mine. Guacamole, lettuce, cilantro, whatever you want. I just really want my food to make people say “well, la dee da.” It is an important life goal.
This vegan Mexican tater tot casserole is my current favorite lazy dinner. Tater tots. Taco Filling. Guacamole. What more could a girl ask for? Maybe a nap?
There is not a single person I have made this for that wasn’t instantly in love. You can totally change up the protein as well, soy chorizo, tofu crumbles, or just more beans would all be incredible. Really anything topped with tater tots is a good idea. Well, maybe not desserts, but you get what I’m saying.
Vegan Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 C. Textured vegetable protein(TVP), I used Bob's red mill
- 2 C. Vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. Taco seasoning
- 1 Can(15oz.) Black beans, drained
- 1 Can(15oz.) Corn, drained
- 3/4 C. Crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 C. Tater tots(frozen), I used Trader Joe's
- 1/3 C. Vegan cheese, I used Follow Your Heart
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat the vegetable broth on high. Bring to a simmer. Add the TVP. Stir and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for a minute until the TVP has absorbed all the veggie broth.
- Now add 2 Tbsp. of the taco seasoning. Stir into the TVP.
- Next, add the drained black beans and drained corn. Stir to combine. Then add the crushed tomatoes. Stir.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of taco seasoning. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Now taste and adjust seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed or more taco seasoning if it is too bland still.
- When the filling is ready, pour into a baking dish. I used a 9 inch baking dish. Smooth out filling.
- Then place the frozen tater tots on top in whatever pattern you want, covering the entire baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. When you have about 5-7 minutes left, pull the dish out of the oven and top with vegan cheese and return to the oven for the last 5-7 minutes. Once the tater tots are nice and brown and cooked through and the cheese melted(as much as vegan cheese will melt) remove from the oven.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, cilantro or whatever you want! Serve immediately.