One of the other moms at my daughter’s school and I were chatting the other day, you know making small talk like you are apparently socially obligated to do, but it actually turned into a serious conversation about how much we hate the heat, and why we live in Florida. There are many reasons it works for both of us right now, but the conversation ended with my relief that is was actually in the 60’s that day. However, it has of coursed warmed back up in the days since then, and I am counting the days until I know we will have a few good months of cool weather.
On the day we were discussing out hatred of Florida, I decided it would be a good day to make something I crave in the cold weather. Mexican Hot Chocolate, I love the spicy sweetness of it. That is one of my favorite combinations. Generally when I am deciding what I want to create, I think of my favorite things, that are not usually vegan, and make them plant based, but also taking it a step further and turning them into something completely different.
In this case, I decided a cookie sandwich was in order. My husband immediately consumed several, and my four year old even got in on them, even though I thought they would be too spicy for her. She asked for water a few times, but kept on going! These babies gave me all the warm tingly feels I love when it was cold, and made me feel a little better about our current weather situation!
Incredibly easy, crispy and creamy, spicy and sweet, they are all you could want in a cookie! I think this would be a great holiday cookie recipe, and would be super impressive. I also challenge anyone to guess that these are vegan, I dare you, it’s not possible! My cream filling is better than any regular cream filling or frosting, I promise!
Have any questions or feedback for me, I would love to here from you!
Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches with Cinnamon Cream
- 1 1/4 c All purpose flour
- 1/2 c Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c Vegan butter
- 1 1/2 c White sugar
- 2 Flax eggs (2 Tbsp. Flax meal+3 Tbsp. water= 1 egg)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 c Almond milk
Cinnamon Cream Filling
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 c Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 1/2 c Vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 1/2 c Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and sugar. Add the flax eggs and vanilla.
- Begin adding the dry ingredients to the wet, and add almond milk as needed until everything is combined.
- Drop cookies 2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet, bake at 350 for 10-13 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, make the filling. Whip together all the ingredients with a hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy. If it isn’t thick enough add more powdered sugar, if it is too thick you can add a splash of almond milk.
- Let cookies cool completely, then scoop a little filling on one cookie and top with another. Enjoy!