These mashed potatoes and gravy will treat you right.
These Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls are all the things you crave in the fall and winter in one bowl! The creamiest, dreamiest vegan mashed potatoes, crispy, crunchy tofu and veggies, roasted veggies and corn. All topped with the easiest and somehow most delicious vegan gravy ever! You need these, I need these, the world needs these. These vegan mashed potato bowls are comforting as heck!
One of the things I love the most about these vegan mashed potato bowls is that you can totally make them the way you want. I like to make the mashed potatoes as the base, then I do crispy baked tofu and Brussels sprouts. However, you can do any veggies and protein you want. The batter for them is perfect and can be used for almost anything. Then I do corn and roasted veggies, but you can skip those, or make them however you want!
The crispy tofu is baked-not-fried and it is incredibly crunchy! You can also roast plain and crispy veggies at the same time, to make this much faster and easier! You know what the easiest part of this recipe is? The incredible vegan gravy. It is so simple, you will wonder why it tastes so good. Only 5 ingredients, including spices!
This fall and winter, I implore you to make these vegan mashed potato bowls! Your life will never be the same. Get a bite of mashed potatoes, crispy tofu, corn and gravy and you will be able to die happy.
Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls
Crispy Tofu Nuggets
- 15 oz (1 block) Extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Cup Non dairy milk, I used almond milk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Panko bread crumbs
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Pounds (about 4 large or 6 small) Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter( I used Earth Balance)
- 1/4 Cup Non dairy milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Simple Vegan Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning (sage, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For The Bowls
- Roasted veggies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Start the crispy tofu first.
- Take your pressed tofu and cut the block into cubes. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and set aside.
- Now, in a small bowl, combine the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk and set aside.
- Then, in a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, and salt. Then, whisk the milk and vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk until fully combined. In a separate bowl, add the panko.
- Next, dip each tofu cube into the wet batter, then roll in the panko to fully coat. Then place the coated tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Repeat with all the tofu.
- Spray the tops of the tofu with more non stick spray and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping after about 10 minutes. Bake until crispy and light brown.
- While the tofu is baking, make the mashed potatoes. Peel the potatoes if you want(I like to leave the skins on), chop into small cubes. Add the potato cubes to a pot of water. Then turn the heat on high and bring to a boil. Boil, reducing heat as needed until the potatoes are tender and smash easily. About 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them. Return to the pot, smash them with a potato smasher, a ricer or in a mixer. Then add the vegan butter, non dairy milk and a few pinches of salt and pepper, then whip it all together to make them nice and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning( you can always add a splash more milk or butter if needed). Set aside.
- Next make the gravy. In a medium sized skillet, melt the vegan butter, then whisk the flour in to form a paste, also called a roux. Then add the veggie broth, whisk to fully dissolve the roux into the veggie broth. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking for a few minutes until it thickens. Then whisk in the poultry seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Once everything is done, scoop some mashed potatoes into a bowl, top with crispy tofu, corn, veggies and drizzle gravy over the top. Serve immediately!