Guys, my book, Southern Vegan is turning two next week! I can’t believe it. In honor of my baby’s birthday, I am sharing this vegan mac n’ cheese soup from the book with you! There is not a single person in this world that doesn’t need this ultra creamy, mac n’ cheese soup in their life. Let me make my case. First, the ingredients: you only need 10 easy-to-find totally normal ingredients. Second, it takes like 5 seconds to throw together and is probably the easiest soup ever. Third, after you taste this soup, you will never be the same. The world will look different. A little brighter, a little more delicious and so much better. Just trust me, this soup is where it’s at.
What You Need For This Cheesy Soup:
- Raw Cashews: To make the perfect cream for the soup.
- Vegetable Broth, Nutritional Yeast, Lemon Juice: These are added to a blender with the cashews to make the cashew cream.
- Olive Oil and Garlic: To start the soup.
- More Broth, Dijon Mustard, Macaroni: To finish off the soup.
- Panko and Italian Seasonings: These make the perfect crispy bread crumb topping!
This vegan mac n’ cheese soup is an ALMOST one pot meal. After making the cashew cream, you just add everything to one pot and cook. Even the macaroni! So the only step you need to take other than pouring everything into a pot is to add a few things to a blender. It is so simple and you will be outrageously surprised at how flavorful this soup is and how much you will truly love it! If you love this soup, make sure to buy a copy of SOUTHERN VEGAN, my vegan cookbook. It has so many amazing southern recipes that I am so proud of. So happy birthday to my book!
Why Should You Make This Creamy Bowl of Comfort?
- It is super simple, with very few ingredients.
- It takes no time at all to throw together.
- Almost one pot.
- Kid-approved and easy to make gluten-free.
- It is the most delicious thing in the world!
Vegan Mac N’ Cheese Soup
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- First, make the cashew cheese sauce. After you soak the cashews, drain them. Add the drained cashews to a blender along with the rest of the cashew cheese sauce ingredients. Blend, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed until the sauce is completely smooth. Set aside.
- Next, in a large soup pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium high. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes to soften the garlic.
- Then, add the 6 cups of vegetable broth, Dijon mustard and the cashew cheese sauce you made. Stir to combine.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Now, add your macaroni, use 1 cup if you want it to be more brothy and less noodley and 1 ½ cups if you want a thicker soup.
- Simmer the soup, stirring frequently until the macaroni is done. Check your macaroni package for directions. It should be about 6-9 minutes.
- While your soup is simmering, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet on medium low.
- Add the panko and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine and coat with olive oil. Stir frequently, toasting the bread crumbs until they are brown. About 2-4 minutes.
- When the macaroni is cooked through, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately with toasted panko on top!