Super fluffy vegan buttermilk pancakes studded with lemon, blueberries and sweet vegan ricotta!
Hi friends! I am back from New York City full of ideas, and I missed you all so much! I feel really strange without working and I took a break the entire time. It was nice, but odd. I thank you all for letting me take a much needed vacation and hanging in there! While I was on my trip, we ate at one of my favorite breakfast places, and their special for the day was lemon, blueberry and ricotta pancakes! Not vegan. I have heard a great deal about this combo, and how amazing it is!
Obviously, I was all like, anything you can do, I can do vegan! So here we are, with hands down the best pancakes I have ever eaten. I know you probably hear that a lot, but this is the one time I think it is a 100% accurate assessment! Bright lemon, sweet and juicy blueberries, creamy and delicious vegan tofu ricotta, all wrapped up in the most perfect fluffy vegan pancakes!
First, I started by making sweet vegan tofu ricotta with a little sugar and lemon juice and zest! Then the best damn vegan buttermilk pancakes. Fold in the blueberries and more lemon zest and juice. I added half the ricotta into the batter to make it moist and fluffy. Then when the pancakes are cooking I added some more ricotta into the batter. This creates creamy sweet little pockets of ricotta!
I like to top mine with homemade blueberry sauce, which is super quick and easy! Followed by some maple syrup. They are mind blowing. I am not just saying that, even though I may be slightly biased. I can honestly say, no pancakes top these!
These vegan lemon, blueberry and ricotta pancakes are love on a plate! I pour my soul into everything I create, and it shows itself in these damn pancakes! They are perfect.
Vegan Lemon, Blueberry and Ricotta Pancakes
Sweet Lemon Ricotta
- 1/2 Block Extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp. Lemon zest
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tsp. Cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Cane sugar
- 2 C. Almond milk
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
- 1/4 C. Coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 C. Blueberries
- Maple syrup(optional)
- Blueberry sauce(optional)
- Make the vegan ricotta first, squeeze as much liquid out of the tofu as possible,( I like to squeeze mine over the sink) then place all the ricotta ingredients in a food processor and process for a minute or so scraping down the sides as needed until the ricotta is smooth and creamy. Set aside or place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flax and water to make a flax egg. Whisk and let sit for a minute to thicken.
- In the mean time, measure out the almond milk and add the lemon juice to the milk to create vegan buttermilk. Let sit for a minute.
- Now add the vanilla, lemon zest and coconut oil to the bowl with the flax egg. Whisk to fully combine. Now whisk in the almond milk/lemon juice mixture.
- Then, add 1/2 Cup of the vegan ricotta to the wet mixture, and stir. You don't need to combine fully, just fold in so you still have creamy pockets of ricotta.
- Pour the wet ingredient into the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Once everything is fully incorporated, fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Heat a skillet or griddle and spray with non stick spray. Add as much batter as you want(depending on how large you want them). Now, you can add a little more ricotta into the pancakes if you want by adding a few drops around the pancake while it cooks on one side. Cook for a few minutes, then flip when ready. Cook for a few more minutes until cooked fully through.
- Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked! Serve with maple syrup or blueberry sauce!