Spicy, sticky, sweet and crispy. These vegan chickpea wings are amazing. Jerk sauce, sweet mango dip. Need I say more?!
I actually can not think of anything more delicious than these vegan jerk chickpea wings. They literally have the most amazing flavor and dipping them in sweet mango dip makes them an out of control masterpiece! It is a flavor explosion. I know that sounds cheesy, but it is the only way to describe what will happen.
The jerk sauce is spicy, but gloriously spicy. The sauce also has orange juice and agave, cutting through some of the heat and then creating a perfect sweetness and stickiness to the wings once they are coated in the jerk sauce! It is a super quick process, just throw everything in a food processor and puree!
You then use the food processor to make the chickpea “chicken” wings. Just chickpeas, vital wheat gluten and spices. They taste amazing on their own and would be super hard to mess up! You can definitely just eat the chickpea wings plain, but I promise, this jerk sauce is one not to be ignored!
Tossing these super crispy wings in the jerk sauce is the greatest idea I have ever had! This sweet mango dip is also outrageously delicious. All three of these recipes can stand on their own, but they really like being together! Jerk sauce, chickpea wing, sweet mango dip, a menage a trois if you will.
You can bake or fry these wings, I like to fry them, because frankly, I like fried food, but if you want to go a little healthier, by all means, bake them until crispy and firm. I love all things jerk spiced in the summer time, and this is absolutely perfect for any summer cookouts. Impress all the naysayers, you know the ones. The ones who say you must eat meat. I promise this recipe will prove them wrong!
Vegan Jerk Chickpea Wings with Sweet Mango Dip
Sweet Mango Dip
- If you want to make the mango dip, make that first. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until nice and smooth and creamy, scraping down the blender as needed. Taste and adjust flavor. Place in fridge while you make the wings.
- Now make the jerk sauce. in a food processor, add all the ingredients for the sauce and process until the sauce is smooth and all the ingredients are very fine and paste/sauce like. It make take a few minutes, scrapping down as need. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out processor, make the wings . Add the chickpeas, vital wheat gluten, veggie broth and seasonings to the food processor (DON'T add the cornstarch, this is for coating the wings later).
- Process until the mixture comes together and is dough like but still has a bit of texture, it will take a minute or so to break down the chickpeas. It should hold together very easily if you squeeze it together with your hands. If it is not holding together add another 1-2 Tbsp. of veggie broth, and pulse to combine, but 1/4 cup should be enough.
- Form the chickpea "dough" into wing shapes by taking about 1-2 Tbsp. dough and rolling into a ball, flatten out a bit and shape into a "wing". Repeat until all of it chickpea mixture has been used. Make sure the wings are not too thick.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high and while the oil is heating, place the cornstarch in a bowl, and toss the wings in the cornstarch lightly coating them. Shake off excess.
- Once oil is hot, add the chickpea wings. Fry on each side for 2-4 minutes until nice and crispy and brown and cooked through. Reducing heat as needed. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Now, in another skillet pour the jerk sauce in. Heat on medium for a minute or 2 stirring until it starts to bubble a little. Now add the wings into the skillet and toss in the sauce until they are all completely coated.
- Serve immediately with the mango dip!