I am pretty dedicated to making myself different flavors of vegan chicken salad! I made this vegan hot “honey” chicken salad the other day. When I received some vegan honey that I really liked and felt compelled to use it. This protein heavy perfect lunch or snack was so darn good, I knew I needed to share it with everyone! It is so simple and perfect to make a chicken salad sandwich or to pack for lunch with a side of crackers. Plus, it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to make and I am just so here for that. Spicy, sweet and hearty, you’ll be glad I thought of this.
What You Need For This Yummy Vegan Lunch:
- Soy Curls: I used Butler’s. This is the “chicken” in the recipe.
- Green Onions and Coleslaw Mix: These are what I thought would go best with hot honey chicken, but give the chicken salad that crunch you want.
- Relish: I think all hot honey chicken needs pickles, so I opted for dill pickle relish in my chicken salad.
- Vegan Mayo, Hot Sauce and Vegan Honey: This is the sauce for the chicken salad. This is my favorite VEGAN HONEY!
I know you may think I am currently in my soy curl era. You are very correct, honestly. They are just so versatile and easy to use. This vegan hot “honey” chicken salad is one of my most favorite things I have made with soy curls recently. I always just buy soy curls in bulk because if I don’t have a plan for dinner, I can soak them. Then stir fry them, air fry them, bake them, or sauté and make this incredible salad! Put it on a hoagie roll and you’ll be incredibly pleased with yourself.
What Other Proteins Can You Use For This “Chicken” Salad?
- Chickpeas, smashed would be excellent.
- Vegan chicken, I would recommend Daring Chicken.
- Tofu or Tempeh, sautéed in the same way would be perfect.
- Seitan, chopped up would also work great.
Vegan Hot “Honey” Chicken Salad
- 4 Ounces(about 1/2 a bag) Soy curls, I used Butler's(soaked/drained according to pkg. directions.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Poultry seasoning (usually contains Thyme, Sage, Rosemary and Nutmeg)
- 1/4 Cup Vegan mayo
- 1/4 Cup Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan honey or Agave syrup*
- 4 Green onions, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Coleslaw mix(shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1/4 Cup Dill pickle relish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- After you have soaked and drained the soy curls, squeeze as much liquid out of them as you can. Then chop the soy curls into small pieces.
- Now, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high. Add the chopped soy curls.
- Sauté, reducing heat as needed until they start to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with the poultry seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue sautéing until the soy curls are golden brown about 5 to 7 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the soy curls cool for about 10 minutes or so.
- While the soy curls cool, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, hot sauce, vegan honey and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the green onions, coleslaw mix and relish. Stir to combine.
- Once the soy curls have cooled add them to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately as a sandwich or with crackers. Or put the "chicken" salad in the fridge and serve later or use for meal prepping lunches!