I’ve been on a pretty consistent mission to make my favorite seitan wings. The perfect sauce, the perfect texture, the ease. These vegan “honey” gold seitan wings are hands down my favorite seitan wings of all time. The seitan is made in a food processor and then simply baked, with no steaming necessary. The sauce is made is the very happy marriage between vegan honey mustard and buffalo sauce! It is sweet and tangy with a nice kick to it!
What You Need For These Seitan Wings:
- Extra Firm Tofu: This is what you start the base of the seitan with.
- Olive Oil, Vegetable Broth, Soy Sauce: These are the liquids that get added to the seitan.
- Vital Wheat Gluten: This wouldn’t be seitan without vital wheat gluten, it is super important and gives it the proper consistency.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: For the inside of the seitan and to coat the outside.
- Garlic Powder: To flavor the seitan.
- Vegan Butter and Hot Sauce: For the buffalo sauce portion of the sauce.
- Vegan Mayo, Dijon Mustard and Agave Syrup: For the “honey” mustard portion of the sauce.
For me, skipping the steaming process for this seitan makes it super simple. Baking these vegan “honey” gold seitan wings makes them the perfect texture. They are crunchy outside, soft, but not too chewy inside. You just pull small pieces of seitan off the full ball you create and roll them in panko. Bake after brushing with oil and ta da! So easy and I could drink this sauce!
Why Should You Make These Wings?
- This is the simplest seitan, made completely in a food processor.
- These wings are baked not steamed or fried!
- This “honey” gold sauce is ahhhhhmazing. I want it on everything.
- These wings are super fast to make.
- The texture of these wings and the flavor of the sauce are unrivaled.
Vegan “Honey” Gold Seitan Wings
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2/3 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce, regular or low sodium
- 1 1/4 Cup Vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/3 Cup Panko bread crumbs, vegan
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Coating for the Seitan
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko bread crumbs, vegan
- Pinch of salt and pepper
"Honey" Gold Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan mayo, I used Hellman's
- 1/2 Cup Dijon mustard
- 6 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 Cup Hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Drain your tofu and squeeze as much liquid out of the block of tofu as you can over the sink. Then add the tofu to a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the seitan to the food processor.
- Process, until the seitan, comes together, smooths out and forms a dough ball. This may take a few minutes, just keep processing until it all comes together.
- Now, put the panko , salt and pepper for the coating into a medium sized bowl.
- Pull about 1-2 inch pieces of seitan off the ball of dough. Then roll them in the panko and pat it down so the seitan "wings" are coated in panko.
- Place each piece of seitan onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick spray. Repeat with all of the seitan.
- Now, brush the tops of the seitan wings with olive oil or spray with more nonstick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the wings and bake another 10-15 minutes. Or until they are brown and firm. They should feel firm, but you don't want to over bake them.
- While the wings bake, make the sauce. First, make some vegan honey mustard. In a small mixing bowl, combine the vegan mayo, mustard and agave. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Now, in a medium sized sauce pan, heat the vegan butter on medium. once the butter has melted, add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- Simmer for a minute, reduce heat to low and then pour the "honey" mustard you made into the sauce pan. Whisk to combine, then simmer for another minute. Turn off the heat.
- Once the wings are done, add them to a bowl and start pouring the sauce over the top and toss until you have them coated in as much sauce as you want. Reserve any extra sauce for dipping.
- Serve immediately with vegan ranch if desired.