I’m always on the hunt for quick and yummy proteins to top all kinds of grains and starches for dinner. These vegan herb butter roasted mushrooms and chickpeas are where it’s at. Vegan butter is melted with herbs, poured over mushrooms and chickpeas until everything is brown and yummy. The mushrooms are juicy, the chickpeas get firm and almost crispy. They are fragrant, beautiful and go so well with so many things. Pictured here, I have them topping grits, but there is no end to what they can do.
Mashed potatoes, polenta, cauliflower mash, pasta or even just as a side dish with some tofu or seitan. These vegan herb butter roasted mushrooms and chickpeas are crazy delicious. With only 6 ingredients plus salt and pepper, they can be thrown together any day of the week. They are high in protein and make a great addition to a salad that desperately needs protein and flavor.
Mushrooms are one of my favorite things to roasted, they are so perfect. However, I wanted to make this dish heartier and add some protein in there. That way this can be a main dish that isn’t lacking anything. You can use whatever kind of mushrooms you want. I used baby bellas and shiitakes, but any of your favorites will work. Also using canned chickpeas instead of dried makes this dish a snap. No need to cook anything. Just throw it together and roast.
In my opinion, my favorite things to serve these mushrooms and chickpeas with are grits and in a salad. If I serve with grits, I either drizzle with more herb butter and/or agave. If I serve in a salad, I eat when they are still warm drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. I love roasted veggies in a salad, making a hot and cold sorta situation. These make a boring salad super crazy awesome.
Vegan Herb Butter Roasted Mushrooms and Chickpeas
- 1/3 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh sage, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh thyme, just the leaves
- 10 Ounces Baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 Ounces Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Cans(15oz. each) Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- In a small sauce pan or skillet, add the vegan butter, the sage and the thyme.
- Heat on medium, stirring until the butter has melted.
- Spread the mushrooms and chickpeas on a large sheet pan. Then pour the melted butter and herbs over the mushrooms and chickpeas. Toss to coat everything well.
- Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper and toss again. Spread out evenly in a single layer.
- Roast for 15 minutes, remove from the oven, toss and spread back out. Roast for another 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms and chickpeas are nice and brown.
- Sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over grits(pictured), polenta, mashed potatoes, cauliflower mash, salad, or as a side dish. I like to drizzle with more herb butter or agave syrup.