I have had a love affair with hazelnuts and chocolate since I was a child and my dad let me try a spoonful of Nutella. I thought this must be healthy, it has nuts in it, I can obviously put this on everything. I decided to kind of dedicate this fabulous combo to my husband and update it, so that it is just a bit healthier than eating spoonfuls of Nutella.
My husband LOVES shortbread cookies, so in his honor here are these dangerously addictive cookies. My daughter and I also could not stop eating them.
3/4 C. All purpose flour
1/2 C. Powdered sugar
1/2 C. Hazelnuts (ground fine in a food processor)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbsp. Instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
1/2 C. Vegan Butter ( I use Earth Balance)
1 C. Dark Chocolate
- Combine flour, sugar and hazelnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vanilla, espresso and vegan butter, and mix with an electric mixer or a stand mixer.
- When fully combined and starts to form a ball, remove and place in parchment paper and plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough onto a floured surface to about 1/2 an inch thick. Using whatever cookie cutters you would like, cut dough and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval.
- Dip half of each cooled cookie into chocolate and place back on parchment paper. Let chocolate firm up and cool.
- Devour. Be happy! Have fun!