No lies, these are the BEST cheese fries!
Attention! Attention! This is the BEST cheese sauce I have ever made. These vegan garlic cheese fries are making me so proud! I used 10, yes 10 cloves of garlic. That massive amount of garlic just adds to how delicious this vegan cheese sauce is. This sauce is hands down the cheesiest, thickest, creamiest cheese sauce I have ever had. I don’t actually think you can tell the difference between this and a regular cheese sauce.
I could not think of a better vessel for this perfect cheese sauce than crispy french fries. I also of course need to be dramatic, so I love to top mine with vegan mushroom bacon and chives! So much garlic, creamy dreamy vegan cheese sauce, mushroom bacon, chives, these vegan garlic cheese fries are a dream come true!
This whole thing comes together in no time. The cheese sauce takes 5-10 minutes, and in the time it takes to bake the fries, you can be living your best life!
I have dedicated a large portion of my life to developing the best vegan cheese sauce I possibly could, and this time, I think I nailed it. No cashews or potatoes and carrots in sight. I love healthier cheese sauce options, but every now and then, I feel like vegans are aloud to indulge too.
Of course this is still better for you than regular cheese sauce, and I did try to keep the oil to a minimum! You can actually make this cheese sauce completely oil free if that is your cup of tea! Whatever your thing is, I am pretty sure your new thing will be these vegan garlic cheese fries!
Vegan Garlic Cheese Fries
Vegan Garlic Cheese Sauce
- 10 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Non dairy milk, I used Oat milk
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 2 Teaspoons Mustard, I used Dijon
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Cream Cheese, I used Trader Joe's
- 2 Tablespoons Corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mushroom Bacon (optional)
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced very thin
- 2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid smoke
For the Cheese Fries
- 1 Bag (26oz.) French fries
- Chives for garnish
- If you are making mushroom bacon, start by marinating the mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms super thin, and add them to a bowl. Pour the soy sauce, maple syrup and liquid smoke into the bowl. Toss to coat the mushrooms, and let them marinate for about 15-20 minutes. Longer is better!
- After marinating the mushrooms for a bit, preheat the oven according to the french fry package instructions. It is usually about 425 degrees.
- Put the fries on a sheet pan, and remove the mushrooms from the marinade and place them on a separate sheet pan. Bake the fries according to package instructions.
- Bake the mushrooms for about 5-10 minutes at the same temperature as the fries, flipping them after a few minutes. Bake until they are brown and a little crispy. Remove and set aside to wait for the fries to be done.
- While the fries and mushrooms are baking, make the garlic cheese sauce! In a large non stick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high.
- Then, add in the chopped garlic. Saute the garlic for a few minutes, reducing heat as needed, until the garlic is soft.
- Now, pour in the non dairy milk. Then whisk in the nutritional yeast, mustard, turmeric and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Simmer on low for a minute.
- Next. whisk together the corn starch and water in a small bowl. Then add it to the skillet. Whisk to fully combine. Then simmer on low for a minute or 2, continuously whisking until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Then, add the vegan cream cheese, and whisk until the cream cheese has melted into the sauce and it is completely smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. Remove from heat.
- Once the fries are done, put them on a serving platter. Pour the cheese sauce over the fries and top with mushroom bacon and chives! Serve immediately!