Seriously guys, you can not tell this is not feta cheese. Period. Hands down. I love feta, and used to think it was really fancy cheese when I was a kid. I would put it on everything, especially all my salads. A few things I have made with this vegan feta recently, that I currently can’t stop thinking about include but are not limited to: Mediterranean couscous salad with olives, vegan feta, artichokes and oil and vinegar. Holy crap! Everyone in my family immediately said that could not tell it wasn’t cheese; a Greek vegan chicken salad with feta! Dear lord! I know I have made a winner when I take a bite and scream “I am a f#$@%ing genius!” I also had a wrap recently with hummus, feta and veggies. My mouth is watering while I type this.
You literally can’t mess this up, you are so close to having all the cheesy goodness you can ask for. I love having staples like this in the fridge, so when I get really busy, I can just throw together a quick lunch. There are so many options with this recipe. As always, let me know if you have any questions about this recipe, any others, or just vegan cooking in general.
Vegan Feta Cheese
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons Caper juice, from a jar of capers
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Squeeze some of the liquid out of the tofu. and cut into small cubes.
- Sprinkle tofu with a bit of salt, and bake for 5-10 minutes at 375, so they get a little firmer and dried out, but don't brown them.
- Make the marinade, by adding all of the other ingredients in a bowl and whisking.
- Let the tofu cool for a few minutes, and then add the tofu to marinade, cover and let sit overnight. You can keep this in your fridge for a few weeks, and it actually just gets better! Enjoy!