These vegan falafel burgers are truly incredible. They are super simple to throw together. You just need a food processor and a baking sheet. Most of the ingredients are thrown into a food processor, then mixed with a few more and then you form them into patties. Bake them and serve them on any burger buns you like! You might think that these falafel burgers wouldn’t be that flavorful, but man, they are! I made a couple of special condiments to go with the burgers. While these burgers are delicious on their own, I highly recommend making them.
What You Need For These Vegan Burgers:
- Chickpeas: I use canned chickpeas for ease, but you can always use chickpeas you cook yourself.
- Sesame Seeds: These are blended with the chickpeas to create a paste.
- Red Onion, Carrots, Garlic, Parsley and Cilantro: These are processed together in the food processor until they are very fine.
- Flour, Cumin, Coriander, Salt, Pepper and Cayenne: These are the dry ingredients for the burgers.
- Olive Oil and Lemon Juice: These are the wet ingredients added to the falafel.
Let’s talk about the condiments I made for these vegan falafel burgers! First, the date ketchup. This naturally sweetened ketchup goes perfectly with the falafel. Then I made dill smashed feta. I love using Violife feta. I smashed it in a bowl with salt and fresh dill. It is incredible and makes these burgers even better!
Why Should You Make This Yummy Falafel?
- They are so easy to make.
- They’re the perfect summertime burger!
- Yummy doesn’t even come close to describing them.
- The date ketchup and dill smashed feta are perfection.
- They are pretty healthy, but still super comforting.
Vegan Falafel Burgers
- 2 Cans(15oz each) 30 oz. total Chickpeas, drained
- 3 Tablespoons Sesame seeds
- 1/2 a Red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 Large Carrots, roughly chopped
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro
- 1/2 Cup Parsley
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 6 Medjool Dates, with pits removed
- 1 Cup Crushed tomatoes, canned
- 2 Tablespoons White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of Black pepper
Dill Smashed Feta
- 1/2 Cup Vegan feta, I used Violife
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh dill, chopped
- Pinch of Salt
For The Burgers
- 6 Vegan burger buns
- Lettuce and red onion
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F). Make the falafel burgers
- In a food processor, add the drained chickpeas and sesame seeds. Pulse until the chickpeas and sesame seeds come together and form almost a paste. They won't be smooth like hummus, but should be broken down pretty well.
- Pour the chickpea and sesame seed mixture into a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Then, add the red onion, carrots, garlic, cilantro and parsley to the food processor. Pulse until all the veggies and herbs are very finely chopped.
- Pour the veggies and herbs into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Add the flour, all the spices, olive oil and lemon juice to the bowl as well.
- Now, begin to mix and then I like to use my hands to fully combine the falafel mixture.
- Form the falafel into patties, you should get 6 large or 8 small patties.
- Then put the patties on a large sheet pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Then spray the tops of the patties with a little more non-stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake another 15 minutes.
- While the falafel bakes, make the date ketchup and feta if using.
- Place the dates in a medium sized heat proof bowl.
- Heat about 2 cups of water in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a bowl. Then turn off the heat and pour the water over the dates. Let the dates sit in the hot water for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Drain the dates, then add them to a food processor with the remaining date ketchup ingredients and pulse until smooth. It may take a few minutes. Set aside.
- Now in a small mixing bowl, add the feta, dill and salt. Smash with a fork until everything comes together. Set aside.
- When the falafel is done., make the burgers. Take a burger bun, add some feta to the bottom bun. Place the burger on top of that. Top with date ketchup, red onion, lettuce and more feta.
- Serve immediately. The burgers reheat well!