In recent memory, I cannot think of a meal I have enjoyed more! These vegan crispy hot “honey” soy curls, served with creamy coleslaw and the best cornbread ever. The soy curls are coated in cornstarch and crisped in a pan. Then tossed with a sweet and spicy and buttery magical sauce. The cornbread is easy, and sweet and has the best outer crust and soft inside. Real corn is mixed in and it complements the soy curls so well. The coleslaw though, oh the coleslaw. Sweet, creamy and tangy. This coleslaw really brings it all together. Get just one bite of all three and I promise, you’ll be very sad when you realize you have eaten the whole plate and the meal is over.
What You Need For This Southern Inspired Meal:
- Soy Curls: Of course, you can’t have soy curls without soy curls.
- Cornstarch: To coat the soy curls and make them nice and crispy.
- Hot Sauce, Agave Syrup and Vegan Butter: These combine to make the best sauce ever!
- Vegetable Oil: To crisp these babies up and add to the cornbread!
- Cabbage and Carrots: As the base for the coleslaw.
- Vegan Mayo, Vinegar and Agave Syrup: To dress the cabbage and carrots.
- All Purpose Flour: This starts the cornbread.
- Cornmeal: All cornbread must have this!
- Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Sugar and Salt: Very important to make the best cornbread ever!
- Flax Meal: This mixed with water is my preferred egg replacer for the cornbread.
- Non-dairy Milk: This is the dairy replacer for the cornbread.
- Canned Corn: I know a lot of people don’t put actual corn kernels in their cornbread, but I really hope you do!
You all probably could have guessed from my book Southern Vegan, that I grew up eating food like this and it is my favorite. There is so much flavor here. But, I like to simply traditional flavors enough so they are easy and anyone can make them! This meal of vegan crispy hot “honey” soy curls with coleslaw and cornbread is a Southern fantasy!
Why Should You Make This Feast?
- My lord, it is good!
- Y’all, this meal is so easy.
- I can’t think of anything more delicious, seriously.
- This is a really cheap meal too!
- This recipe feeds a crowd and they will all be very impressed!
Vegan Crispy Hot "Honey" Soy Curls
- 1/4 Cup Vegan mayo, I used Hellman's
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Agave syrup
- A few pinches of salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 Cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- First, make the coleslaw, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, vinegar, agave and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Now add the shredded cabbage and carrots to the bowl, toss to combine and then put in the fridge while you make the rest. This is a very lightly dressed slaw(that's what I like) but you can add a bit more mayo if you prefer.
- Now make the cornbread. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Then stir in the cornmeal, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax and water and set aside to thicken for 2-3 minutes. This creates the egg replacer.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, vegetable oil and agave.
- Once the flax meal has thickened, add that to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined. Then fold in the corn.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick or knife can be stuck in the center and comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
- While the cornbread is baking, make the soy curls. Once the soy curls have been soaked and drained, I like to squeeze as much water out of them as I can. Then add them to a large mixing bowl.
- While they are still wet, sprinkle the corn starch and a few pinches of salt and pepper over the soy curls. Toss to coat the soy curls completely in the corn starch.
- Heat the vegetable oil on medium high in a non-stick skillet.
- Add the soy curls and fry them until they are brown and crispy, reducing heat as needed. This may take 5-6 minutes.
- While the soy curls cook, in a medium sized bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, agave and melted vegan butter.
- Once the soy curls are nice and crispy, pour about half of the hot "honey" sauce over the soy curls in the pan. Reduce heat to low, and toss to coat the soy curls.
- Add a little bit of sauce at a time until it has the sauciness you want. I like to save a little to pour on top of my meal. Sauté in the sauce for just 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve some hot "honey" soy curls with some coleslaw and cornbread!