This sandwich will ruin you for all other sandwiches.
I may have said this before, but this is the best sandwich I have ever had. These vegan chicken Caesar sandwiches are some next level s&*#%. So, if I have said that before, know that it was simply because I had not tried these sandwiches yet. Crispy baked chickpea “chicken” patties, the BEST vegan Caesar dressing, romaine lettuce all on your favorite bun. Super easy, healthy and packed with protein.
I could eat a vegan crispy chicken Caesar sandwich everyday for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. I have been tinkering with different “chicken” patty recipes, and this one is perfect. After baking it, it is so crispy on the outside you can hear the crunch, and the perfect firmness in the center while still being moist.
This recipe will make about 3 large or 4 small crispy chicken patties, and I recommend making them all. The leftovers are amazing, and you can even cut some up and make delicious salads if lower carb things are your thing.
Let us not forget the Caesar dressing, it is tangy, well balanced perfection. Slathered on these crispy chicken Caesar sandwiches is the best home for it. I love it all so much, and so does my whole family. My daughter is obsessed with the chickpea chicken patties, but usually wants a different topping. I live for meals that can be adapted to everyone’s liking. These sandwiches are definitely winners!
Vegan Crispy "Chicken" Caesar Sandwiches
Crispy Chickpea "Chicken"
- 15 oz. Can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/3 C. Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1/2 C. Vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Pinch of Black pepper
- 1 C. Bread crumbs, for coating the outside
Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1/4 C. Vegan mayo
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Capers
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
For the Sandwiches
- Romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, drain the chickpeas and add them to a large mixing bowl. Smash all of the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher. Make sure they are all mashed.
- Now add the olive oil, veggie broth, soy sauce, vital wheat gluten, panko, and seasonings to the mixing bowl with the smashed chickpeas. Leave the extra bread crumbs out, this will be used for coating.
- Mix everything together with a spoon, and then once everything starts to come together, begin to mix with your hands and then knead the mixture for about 2 minutes. It should become firm and hold together very well.
- Now place the 1 cup of bread crumbs into a bowl. You can use whatever kind of bread crumbs you want, I used half panko and half regular.
- Then, divide the chickpea mixture into 3-4 parts, depending on how large you want your patties. Roll each part into a ball, then press out flat.
- Next, press the patties down into the bread crumbs on each side, coating the patties in the bread crumbs. You may need to press down hard to get them to stick.
- Place each patty on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Then spray the tops of the chickpea patties with non stick spray as well.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Flipping the patties after 15 minutes. Bake until the patties are firm, crispy and brown.
- While the patties are baking, make the dressing. Add all the ingredients to a blender and pulse for a minute, scraping down sides as needed. Until it is creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- When the chickpea patties are done, take a bun, spread with Caesar dressing, then place a patty on that, then lettuce, then spread the top bun with more Caesar dressing. Serve!