Whenever I have family in town and need to feed a crowd, casseroles like this are my go to. My family lives all over the place, and I get so excited when I get to see any of them. I want to make sure they understand how totally awesome I am, and this vegan creme brulee overnight French toast casserole really makes it obvious how bad ass I am.
I don’t think there is an easier breakfast anywhere. It literally is 5 minutes of prep, you place it in the fridge overnight, then bake in the morning when you are ready! It also ensures that no time is wasted in the kitchen when it could be spent spending time with people you like!
This accommodates all kinds of diets. My brother has Celiacs disease, so if he is coming I get a couple of gluten free baguettes, and bam! The best breakfast for everyone! Everyone who has eaten this is obsessed and made it for themselves!
The sweetness comes from apple sauce and maple syrup, then a little organic sugar is sprinkled on top to create the brulee effect, but it is very minimal and I almost always use organic unrefined sugar, because a lot of white sugar is not vegan. It is just easier for me not to have to worry about it!
You can try different flavors with this casserole, and play around. I like to use vanilla bean, different berries, I think a pumpkin one in the Fall would be awesome! This incredible, simple vegan French toast casserole is where it is at! No effort? Check. Totally delicious? Check. Customizable? Check. I hope you love this as much as I do! I don’t know if it is possible not to love it, and your friends and family will think you are a total bad ass!
Here is a link to my favorite Culinary Torch:
JB Chef Culinary Micro Butane Torch | Refillable Cooking Kitchen Blow Torch With Safety Lock & Adjustable Flame | For Pastries, Desserts, Crème Brûlée, Brazing, Soldering, Camping, Welding & More
Vegan Creme Brulee Overnight French Toast Casserole
- 1 Large Loaf French bread, vegan (about 4-5 cups sliced up)
- 2 C. Almond milk or any non dairy milk
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 1/2 C. Apple sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp. Organic sugar to sprinkle on top
- Cut up the bread into large pieces. Let sit out for a bit to dry out. Then place about half the bread in a single layer in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond milk, maple syrup, and apple sauce. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the flax meal and water. Whisk to combine and let sit for a minute to thicken and make flax eggs.
- Now add the flax eggs and vanilla to the wet mixture. Whisk until fully combined. Pour half the mixture on top of the bread. Then add the remaining bread, filling in any gaps and pressing together. Pour the remaining wet mixture over all of the bread. Press everything together and down in the custard like mixture to get all the bread to soak it up. Cover and place in the fridge overnight!
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the casserole uncovered for 35-45 minutes until firm and crisp on top.
- Now, sprinkle the entire casserole with a thin layer of sugar. Using a kitchen torch, brulee all of the sugar until brown and crunchy. Serve immediately with maple syrup if desired.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Rabbit and Wolves and the brands that keep us up and running. For more information, read my Amazon Affiliate Program Disclosure*