I declare during cold months, red wine should go in everything!
This vegan creamy polenta and red wine mushrooms is a dream. Quick enough to be a weeknight meal, decadent enough to be a date night meal. Easy creamy polenta takes no time at all and a big steamy bowl is topped with some truly incredible mushrooms. They are cooked with garlic and red wine, and there is probably nothing better than that!
Have you ever made creamy polenta? It is super easy and a great alternative when you get bored with pasta. Also, this whole meal is gluten free! I love crispy polenta cakes too, but you can beat a big hot bowl of creaminess!
So, over the next 2 weeks, I am going to be putting together my perfect holiday meal. This vegan creamy polenta and red wine mushrooms is part of my holiday meal series. This would be the perfect side dish or main dish. During my perfect holiday meal I am going to serve this on the side with some other AMAZING dishes. So stayed tuned for that!
I can’t think of a better way to use mushrooms this fall and winter, and if you have been paying attention, you have probably determined that I love mushrooms. I used baby bella mushrooms and shiitakes. Sauteed with so much garlic, red wine, and veggie broth. It creates the most delicious red wine gravy that can be poured over the polenta!
Vegan Creamy Polenta and Red Wine Mushrooms
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Corn meal
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
Red Wine Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 16 Ounces Mushrooms, I used baby bella and shiitake(sliced)
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary, dried
- 1/2 Cup Red wine, vegan
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Teaspoon Corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, start on the polenta. Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Then pour the corn meal into the water in a slow steady stream, whisking the whole time. Make sure it is very slow, or the corn meal will clump together. Make sure it is all combined and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes. It is done when it is nice and thick and has absorbed all the liquid.
- In the mean time, make the red wine mushrooms. Heat the olive oil on medium high in a non stick skillet or cast iron skillet. Add the chopped garlic. Saute for a minute. Then add the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are starting to brown.
- Then add the rosemary and red wine. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, reducing heat as needed. Or until the mushrooms have absorbed most of the wine.
- Now, whisk together the veggie broth and corn starch in a small bowl. Then add it to the mushrooms. Simmer for a few more minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Once the polenta is nice and thick, add the vegan butter, and stir to melt the vegan butter into the polenta. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Now serve immediately with the creamy polenta in a bowl and top with the mushrooms and red wine sauce.