If you were anything like me when I was a kid, you probably were super down with hamburger helper. My parents tried to cook healthy, so we rarely had it. However, I thought it was the best thing ever and was always super stoked to eat it. This vegan creamy beef and shells is an ode to the most comforting food ever. Of course this is much fancier, and way healthier. It is one of the easiest recipes ever, and everyone seriously loves it!
I used Beyond Beef for this recipe, but there are all kinds of options for the “beef” part of the recipe. You should be able to find something that will work well at your local grocery store.
Brands I recommend:
- Beyond Beef
- Impossible Burger
- Gardein Beefless Grounds
- Morning Star Veggie Grillers Crumbles
With very few simple ingredients and very little time, you can have the ultimate comfort food on the table. This is also a great recipe to sneak some veggies into. Also believe me when I say, no one will know this is vegan! It is also important for me to say, that you absolutely can not taste the coconut cream. It makes this recipe so creamy and the perfect consistency and texture. With all the other flavors, the coconut cream just makes it nice and rich.
I like to top my vegan creamy beef and shells with some vegan cheddar style cheese and my favorite it the one from Violife. It melts nicely, and has no strange after taste. This is optional, but I really like the added cheesiness to the dish. Everyone in my house is currently obsessed with this dish. I must admit it is so homey, comforting and delicious, it really cheers me up. It makes me feel so warm and happy! Love creamy pasta recipes? Try my Vegan One Pot Creamy Garlic Brussels Sprouts Pasta!
Vegan Creamy "Beef" and Shells
- 8 Ounces Pasta shells, medium or large
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 1 Package(16oz.) Beyond beef ground
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Can(15oz.) Canned tomato sauce (tomato puree not ketchup)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/3 Cup Vegan cheddar shreds, I used Violife(optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta shells according to package directions, until al dente. Drain when done.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high. Add the vegan beef, break apart into crumbles with a large spoon or spatula. Brown, reducing heat as needed until the vegan beef is completely brown. It may take 5-7 minutes. Remove the vegan beef from the skillet when done and put in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same large skillet, heat the vegan butter on medium high and then add the onion and garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the onion is translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the flour into the skillet and stir to combine, make sure the butter and flour are fully combined. Simmer for a minute.
- Now add the veggie broth, tomato sauce and coconut cream. Whisk to combine everything and make sure there are no lumps of flour in the sauce.
- Add the Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Then add the pasta shells and vegan beef. Toss everything together. Turn heat to low.
- Sprinkle in the vegan cheese if using, and stir. Let melt for a minute. Then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve immediately.