At least once every winter I get some kind of cold. I’m stuffy, and coughing and all I want to do is stay in bed and eat this Vegan Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Wild Rice Soup! It is so freaking incredible and makes me feel just a little better every time! It is so simple, very few ingredients, one pot, and it’s pretty much all I can muster up when I’m feeling terrible.
You just saute the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and garlic. Remove them from the pot, then make the rest of the soup in the same pot! Maximum efficiency! Minimum dishes!!
It is so rich and hearty, and definitely good for you! The garlic and the vinegar are amazing and just what I need. I love to add regular white or brown rice, as well as the wild rice, to give it more texture and different flavors. The wild rice soup my dad used to make when I was a kid was all wild rice. So, I thought I would switch it up a bit!
If you’ve never had wild rice before, this vegan wild rice soup is definitely the way to give it a go! So creamy, and so amazing! This would also be delicious with any added protein you may want, however, there are actually 24 grams of protein in this coming from the wild rice! I hope you guys love this as much as I do! If you’re feeling a little bit of a runny nose coming on, or you just want something easy and comforting and so yummy: This vegan wild rice soup has got you covered!
Vegan Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 14 Ounces Mushrooms, sliced, I used shiitakes and baby bellas
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 3 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 5 Cups Vegetable broth
- 3 Cups Non dairy milk, I used Almond milk
- 1/2 Cup Wild rice
- 1/2 Cup White or brown rice
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh lemons to squeeze on top(optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add the sliced mushrooms and chopped garlic. Saute reducing heat as needed until the mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown. This may take about 5 minutes or so. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then pour the balsamic vinegar on to the mushrooms and saute for another minute until they are nice and brown and juicy. Remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Next, add the vegan butter to the soup pot and melt it. Then stir the flour into the melted vegan butter and stir into a paste to make a roux.
- Now, add the vegetable broth and the non dairy milk to the pot. Whisk to incorporate the roux(flour and butter) into the liquid. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then add the wild rice and then the white or brown rice. Check packages for time instructions. Sometimes I add my wild rice a few minutes before the other rice because it takes longer, but check your package. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Then add the thyme and rosemary. Stir to combine everything.
- Simmer on medium low for about 25-30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Now, add the balsamic mushrooms back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add a little more salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon if desired! Serve immediately. It will thicken up a great deal if you let it sit around because the rice will keep absorbing the liquid and get mushy.