Spicy, sweet, zesty and crispy! These vegan fried Brussels sprouts are to die for!
My love affair with Brussels sprouts blossomed in culinary school. Before that, I thought I hated them. My parents always made frozen Brussels sprouts that they microwaved. So, obviously, I thought I hated them. However, when I was about 20 years old and I started culinary school, we created the most amazing Brussels sprouts in all different ways. I knew then, I would never be the same. These Vegan chili lime fried Brussels sprouts are an example of the one of their best uses!
Not only are these fried Brussels sprouts absolutely amazing, they can be made in a flash. A last minute side dish or appetizer! All you need to do, it cut the Brussels sprouts in 1/2 or 1/4th if they are huge, toss in olive oil, lime juice and spices, then fry. Then you MUST make the spicy lime aioli I recommend for dipping!
The aioli is spicy and sweet and zesty and creamy and heaven! It makes these already irresistible sprouts to die for! I can definitely eat all of them myself(and on occasion I have). It takes 1 minute to make and is so worth a little extra effort! Vegan mayo, lime juice, sriracha and agave. You can put this aioli on anything and it would taste amazing.
So, you may have noticed that I like to fry vegetables. Well, I don’t only eat fried veggies, I also eat steamed and roasted and grilled and every type you can imagine. I just really love fried veggies, because, fried veggies. Anyhow, I have another option for you for these sprouts! You can roast them if you don’t want to fry them!
They will take a little longer, obviously, but you can cut them, toss them in the marinade and throw them on a pan. Roast them at a high temperature for about 20 minutes, and BOOM! Dip them, drizzle them and fall in love! Fried or roasted, it doesn’t matter, they are the BEST brussel sprouts of all time!
Vegan Chili Lime Fried Brussels Sprouts
Chili Lime Brussel Sprouts
- 2 C. Brussel sprouts, halved or quartered depending on size
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. Chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Oil for frying
- Chili lime salt to sprinkle on top(optional)
Sweet and Spicy Lime Aioli
- 1 C. Vegan mayo
- 1 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Make the aioli by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Whisk together, taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside or place in fridge until ready to use.
- Now, start heating about 1 inch of oil in a cast iron skillet or large skillet. Heat to about 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, add the brussel sprouts to a mixing bowl. Pour the remaining ingredients over the brussel sprouts and toss to coat completely.
- Once the oil is hot, drop the sprouts in small batches into the hot oil. Reduce heat as needed. Fry for a few minutes in each side until they start to get brown and crispy. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel.
- Repeat until all the sprouts have been fried. Sprinkle with chili lime salt if desired. Serve immediately with aioli.