I don’t think enough words exist in the English language to describe how incredible these Vegan “Carne” Asada Fries are. Whenever I make them, I have to talk myself into not eating the entire dish. “Carne” Asada marinated soy curls are browned in a nice hot pan. The most delicious easy vegan cheese sauce with a pinch of smoked paprika. These top some crispy fries. Then you can dress them up however you want. I like to top mine with salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream and cilantro. You can make them your own though!
What You Need For These Cheese Fries:
- Frozen Fries: You can make these in the oven or I enjoy using an air fryer.
- Soy Curls: I order Butler’s brand all the time and just keep them on hand.
- Limes, Garlic, Orange Juice, Olive Oil, Jalapeno, White Vinegar, and Agave Syrup: You need these to make the “carne” asada marinade for the soy curls. And man, it is so freaking good.
- Vegan Butter and All Purpose Flour: To make a roux to thicken the cheese sauce.
- Non-dairy Milk: An unsweetened dairy free milk is used for the cheese sauce. I used oat milk, but your favorite milk will work.
- Vegan Cheddar Style Cheese: I used Violife Brand and it is perfect and melts into the sauce really well. I highly recommend.
- Toppings: Salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream, cilantro, onions or anything else you want to top your fries with.
These vegan “carne” Asada fries are perfect for sharing. I love to serve them to friends on game day (our game day is D&D not sports). They come together really quickly. The only time consuming part is marinating the soy curls. I usually just do that the day before I plan to make them and marinate them in the fridge overnight. That way the soy curls are super, super flavorful. Either way, you will fall hard for these fries and you won’t be able to remember a time before you tasted them.
Why Should You Make The Best Fries Ever:
- They’re the best fries ever, duh.
- These “carne” Asada soy curls are hands down one of the greatest things I tasted.
- The cheese sauce is super simple and easy, but, you’ll want to drink it.
- Feeds a crowd, and it’ll be one happy crowd.
- All those toppings, I want any excuse to top things with guacamole.
Vegan "Carne" Asada Fries
"Carne" Asada Soy Curls
- 3 Cups Soy curls, I used Butler's(soaked/drained according to pkg. directions.
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Lime zest
- 1/2 Cup Orange juice
- 1/4 Cup +2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Agave syrup
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
For the Fries
- Start by soaking and draining the soy curls according to package directions. While the soy curls soak, make the marinade.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, orange juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, vinegar and agave. Then add the garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Once the soy curls have soaked and drained, squeeze as much liquid out of them as possible. Then add them to the bowl with the marinade. Toss to combine.
- Marinate the soy curls, tossing them occasionally to make sure they are getting an even amount of the marinade, for at least 3 hours, but I like to marinate them overnight.
- Once you are ready to make the fries, cook the fries according to package directions.
- While the fries cook, sauté the soy curls.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet. Then add the soy curls, marinade and all. Most of it will have been absorbed, but just pour in what is left.
- Sauté the soy curls, reducing heat as needed until they are nice and brown. About 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Adding a bit more salt and pepper if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Now, make the cheese sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan, heat the vegan butter on medium.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly. Then pour in the non-dairy milk and whisk to fully combine, making sure there are no lumps.
- Let the sauce simmer for a minute or until it starts to thicken. Then pour in the vegan cheese, smoked paprika and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Let the sauce simmer until the vegan cheese has melted. It may take a few minutes depending on the type of vegan cheese you use.
- Once the fries are done, put everything together. Put the fries on a platter. I like to drizzle some cheese sauce on top of the fries, then some soy curls, more cheese sauce, more soy curls, then whatever toppings you want. Serve immediately.