Hello June! Well, tomorrow anyway. That means, summery comfort food is coming at you. This vegan bruschetta pasta is the perfect summer time pasta dish. We all need one of those, am I right? I took all aspects of the yummy appetizer and turned it into one of my favorite pasta dishes of all time. Normally, when you make bruschetta, you rub garlic on the toasted bread slices. Then top with tomatoes, basil and often balsamic vinegar. So, I made a pureed garlic sauce to toss with the pasta first. Then I sauteed cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar until they burst open.
Mix all that together and prepare for something truly magical. The vegan bruschetta pasta is slightly spicy from the garlic. Slightly sweet from the tomatoes and slightly tangy from the vinegar. Add fresh basil and oh man! You’ll want to make this all summer long. I’ll be honest, summer is my least favorite season, but it’s dishes like these that ease the pain.
I love how easy this dish is, and that you only need 8 ingredients, one of which is reserved pasta water. So, I’m not sure if that even counts. Here’s another fact about me that might surprise you. I actually hate tomatoes. I can not eat just raw tomatoes, and always remove them from things. However, these burst, juicy, adorable tomatoes really do it for me. This pasta is one of the only ways I will eat tomatoes. I bet you can get even the pickiest eaters to get in on this meal.
There are a lot of different things I have see put on bruschetta. This pasta just has the basics. So, if you are feeling daring, feel free to add any of your favorite toppings. I think anything that would go well on top of a piece of bruschetta will go great in this dish. Don’t forget the fresh basil though. That is a must have!
Vegan Bruschetta Pasta
- Add 1/2 a tablespoon of olive oil to a large non-stick skillet. Heat on medium high. Then add the garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the garlic has soften. About 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and put the garlic in a food processor or blender. Set aside to cool.
- Now, cook the pasta according to package directions. Making sure to save some of the pasta water before you drain the pasta. Once you have saved some water, drain when the pasta is done.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat another 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet you sauteed the garlic in. Then add the tomatoes. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the tomatoes start to burst. About 5-7 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- You can press the tomatoes down with a spatula or spoon to help them burst. Then add the balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes.
- Continue to saute for another 2-4 minutes or until the balsamic thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Then make the garlic puree. Add the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to the food processor or blender with the sauteed garlic.
- Begin to pulse, then drizzle in the reserved pasta water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the pasta back to the pot after you have drained it. Then pour the garlic sauce over the pasta. Toss to coat.
- Then add the balsamic and tomatoes to the pot. Toss everything together. Then add the red pepper and basil. Toss again, then taste and adjust seasoning. You may need more salt. Serve!