My dad is a connoisseur of soups. He used to make us really great soup when I was a kid, and when he was feeling lazy he would throw down some Ramen like nobody’s business, adding extra ingredients to make them extra delicious, and a little less of the flavor packet, because, I remember him saying “the sodium is off the charts”. One of my favorite soups was broccoli cheddar! So warm and comforting, it made me feel safe and loved. In thinking about bringing those feelings to my daughter now, I was thinking of making my version of broccoli and cheddar soup( and I probably still will) but I wanted to be a little more innovative.
So, I decided to take my super simple basic pizza dough and stuff small dough balls with slightly steamed broccoli and vegan cheddar cheese. Let me tell you, you will not be disappointed. This comfort food is everything but ordinary. I feel so many feels while biting into one of these bad boys. They make a great appetizer, entree, or after school snack!
You can also use a prepared dough if you can find a vegan one, that would make this super quick as well as easy. A vegan pizza dough or biscuit dough would work great! Just press out, stuff and bake, you would be all set. Making the dough is a little more time consuming, but almost fool proof. My basic pizza dough is just that, basic and very simple. Whatever you choose, I promise, you will make these again!
1 1/2 C. Broccoli (chopped and slightly steamed)
1/2 C. Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
4 Tbsp. Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
2 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 C. Vegan Parmesan (optional)
- Make pizza dough according to directions, or if you are using a store bought dough, preheat oven to 375.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls and roll until smooth.
- Flatten out each ball and fill with a Tbsp. of broccoli and sprinkle with Daiya cheese, about a 2 tsps. each.
- Fold dough around filling and pinch together to seal. Place sealed side down in cast iron pan that has been brushed with vegan butter.
- Repeat and place each ball next to the other in a circle, and one in the center.
- Let proof for about 10 minutes.
- Brush with vegan butter and top with garlic powder, salt and vegan parm.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until brown. I like to brush a little more vegan butter on top during baking to help brown.
- Eat one or two or eight!