Vegan Bolognese Bianco makes me so happy!
Hear me out. This vegan Bolognese Bianco is one of the most addictive and delicious things I have ever eaten. It is a creamy, white based version of a classic Bolognese. Made vegan of course. The base of this Bolognese Bianco is mushrooms and TVP. Simmered with carrots, onions, celery and garlic. In a creamy sauce made from veggie broth, white wine and coconut milk. It is healthy, but super hearty and comforting!
I’m totally obsessed with this sauce, you can serve it over any kind of pasta you want, and if you use gluten free pasta, this is a completely gluten free recipe.
Chopping veggies is the most labor intensive part of this recipe, which I actually find mildly therapeutic. Chop some veggies, then just saute them. Deglaze the pot with some wine, which is always a good idea. Then add the TVP and liquids. Simmer away. That is it. The longest part of this recipe is simmering the Bolognese. While that happens, you can have a glass of that wine!
Have you ever worked with TVP? It is cheap, easy to work with, protein packed, gluten free, and tasty. It doesn’t taste like much, kind of like tofu, but it has such a great texture and will take on any flavor. It comes dried, and you just need to soak it. I like to soak it veggie broth to give it more flavor, but water works too. This vegan Bolognese Bianco is my new favorite way to eat pasta. Creamy, thick, warm, and like a giant hug in a bowl! I promise you will love this, so, even if you are slightly skeptical, try it. You may never want tomato based Bolognese again!
Vegan Bolognese Bianco
- 1 C. TVP ( textured vegetable protein)
- 3 C. Vegetable broth, divided
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1/2 a Red onion, diced
- 2 Celery stalks, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 10 oz. Mushrooms, diced
- 1 C. White wine
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Rosemary, fresh
- 1 tsp. Thyme, fresh
- 1/2 C. Coconut milk, full fat
- 1/4 C. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Agave syrup, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, heat one cup of veggie broth in a small sauce pan. Once it is simmering, add the TVP and remove from the heat. Stir and let the TVP sit, absorbing the broth while you prep the rest. (you can also heat the broth in the microwave if you prefer)
- Then, in a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add the diced carrots, red onion, celery and chopped garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed for about 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the diced mushrooms and saute for another 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Now, pour in the white wine, stirring and getting any yummy bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Then add the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme into the pot, and simmer for 2-3 minutes to cook some of the wine off.
- Now, pour in the remaining 2 cups of veggie broth and the coconut milk. Stir to combine everything.
- Next, add the TVP that should now have absorbed all the liquid and be soft.
- Then add the nutritional yeast and agave if you want( you don't have to use the agave, but I think it needs the sweetness).
- Add a few more pinches of salt and pepper. Then simmer on low for 20- 30 minutes or until the Bolognese is the thickness you want. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over pasta!