Comfort food just leveled up!
Vegan blackened tofu with cheesy grits is one of the most comforting meals I have ever had. Yet also remains pretty healthy. Pretty quick. Pretty dang amazing. I love adding a simple sauteed green of some kind to this already hearty bowl of love. This tofu is firm, like the perfect texture, seriously. Flavorful and baked. Making your life incredibly easy. These cheesy vegan grits are the perfect friend to go with this tofu! So rich and cheesy, but with no cheese at all!
I love a lot of spice, so this blackened tofu is definitely for me. If you want to go a little less spicy, you can do a little less cayenne or skip it. This spicy tofu is so amazing on a cold night though. I just want to curl up with a big bowl of tofu and grits!
This is a great quick weeknight meal, it only takes about 30 minutes! Or great for weekends when we all want to have some great comfort food!
This blackened tofu is baked while you cook the grits on the stove. So you are getting the protein and the carb done at the same time! I love a bake and stove top meal so I only have to worry about one pan, and stirring one thing at a time. I can really only do one thing at a time, and I am just a woman doing her best! Ya feel me?
This will for sure go on your regular rotation, because there is literally no way you will want to eat this vegan blackened tofu with cheesy grits just once. So, go forth and get some tofu and grits from the store, then make this immediately!
Vegan Blackened Tofu with Cheesy Grits
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme, dried
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 1/4 Cups Non dairy milk, I used almond milk
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Grits, quick cooking
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- Press the tofu first, you can do that right before, or the morning before you plan to make this. Use either a tofu press, or place the tofu on some paper towels and put something heavy on top. Press for at least 20 minutes, but the longer the better.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Now, cut the tofu into cubes, and place them in a medium sized mixing bowl. Then pour the olive oil and mustard into the bowl, and toss the tofu to coat it in oil and mustard.
- Next, sprinkle all the spices onto the tofu, and toss again to coat evenly in all the spices.
- Then, place the tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray and bake for about 20-25 minutes. Flip halfway through, and bake until nice and brown and firm.
- While the tofu is baking, make the grits. In a medium sized sauce pan, whisk together the water, non dairy milk, nutritional yeast and salt. Heat on medium high.
- Bring to a boil, then slowly whisk the grits in while you pour them. Make sure to whisk as you pour so they don't clump.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until they are nice and thick. 10-20 minutes. (You can check your package for instructions regarding timing)
- When the grits have absorbed all the liquid and are cooked through, stir in the vegan butter. Then taste and adjust seasonings. I usually add a bit more salt.
- Once the tofu and grits are done. serve immediately. I like to serve with some greens and hot sauce!