The blackberries in my backyard are poppin’ off! Which of course got me thinking about what I could use them for. Right next to my blackberry bush is a big ole bushel of basil! Thus this blackberry, basil and ricotta pressed sandwich was born. It is the BEST vegan pressed sandwich. Seriously. It is the perfect combination of sweet, salty, tart, herbal, creamy, crunchy and literally the most delicious thing in the world.
Not only all of those things, but this pressed sandwich is a 10 minute meal! The vegan ricotta and all. Tofu is placed in a food processor with herbs and spices and made into this super creamy and awesome ricotta with no effort. Not to mention, you will have no idea it is not actually ricotta.
Smear a good amount of this ricotta onto your favorite bread, then top with blackberries, basil and agave. Press in a hot pan with some olive oil and you will have the fastest and most scrumptious meal ever. Perfect for lunch, brunch or a quick and healthy weeknight meal!
My husband and I loved these vegan pressed sandwiches so much the first time we made them, we made more the following day. To say I am addicted is an understatement. They are a very grown up and sophisticated grilled cheese for all my vegan friends out there, and my not so vegan friends. There is no comparing this sandwich to others, no matter who you are!
Summer is calling, and it says blackberries are ready to go! They are really interested in being a part of this pressed sandwich! I hope you fall madly in love with blackberries, basil and ricotta. It is definitely a winner. Most things that take 10 minutes to make are winners in my book! Happy summertime(well, almost, sort of, might as well be)!
Vegan Blackberry, Basil and Ricotta Pressed Sandwich
Vegan Tofu Ricotta
For the Sandwich
- 6-8 Slices Bread of choice, I used ciabatta
- 1/2 C. Blackberries
- 1/4 c. Basil, fresh
- 1 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Make the ricotta, place the half block of tofu in a paper towel and squeeze over the sink to get some of the liquid out. Get as much out as you can. Now place the tofu and the remaining ricotta ingredients into a food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds or 1 minute until smooth but still has a little texture and looks like ricotta. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Now take one slice of bread and spread a good amount of vegan ricotta onto the bread, top with fresh basil, blackberries and a drizzle of agave.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or regular skillet on medium high. Place the sandwich in the pan and place something heavy on top for a minute or two( I like to use another cast iron skillet) press down as it cooks. When one side is brown, flip over and press again.
- Once the sandwich is nice and brown and warm serve immediately. Repeat with as many sandwiches as you want to make.