There are an overwhelming amount of birthdays in my family in March. I wanted to find some way to honor them, something totally amazing to show some love. These vegan birthday cake ice cream sandwiches definitely do the trick! Cake batter ice cream is my favorite, there is a local old school soda fountain that has amazing vegan ice cream, and I love their cake batter ice cream. I was thinking I would make it easy by creating a no churn ice cream, and then make it even better by turning it into a sandwich!
Ice cream sandwiches are the greatest thing ever invented. I think we all have to agree. This cake batter ice cream is made with coconut milk and cake mix. Did you know most cake mixes are accidentally vegan? Which makes me super happy! The coconut milk is whipped until super fluffy, then cake mix, powdered sugar, sprinkles and vanilla are added. Then all you have to do is freeze!
The cookies are an amazing sugar cookie, with brown sugar added and not just white sugar. Then a million sprinkles are stirred in to make them not only delicious, but beautiful. They are soft enough to make sure the ice cream doesn’t squeeze out of the sides when you bite into the sandwich, which sucks. However, not so soft that they fall apart. They are the perfect ice cream sandwich consistency!
I always add salt to everything, whipped cream, ice cream, baked goods, so make sure you get that pinch of salt in the ice cream! I also always add more than most people. For several reasons, first, it makes everything taste better. Second, it cuts some of the sweetness and gives everything balance. Salt is your friend, in moderation, I suppose.
These vegan birthday cake ice cream sandwiches are so good, so easy, so perfect in every way. The ice cream and cookies by themselves are amazing, and putting them together creates the best dessert ever! Even if you don’t have any birthdays coming up, these babies will make everyday feel special! Have a very merry unbirthday! Here is a link to some amazing vegan sprinkles at Sweetapolita!
Vegan Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 2 C. Coconut cream, chilled
- 1 1/2 C. Vanilla or yellow cake mix, vegan
- 1 1/2 C. Powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- pinch of Salt
- 2/3 C. Rainbow sprinkles, vegan (I used Sweetapolita)
For the Rainbow Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 3/4 C. Brown sugar
- 3/4 C. White sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 C. Rainbow sprinkles, vegan (I used Sweetapolita)
- Make the ice cream the day before you want to serve these. Scoop the chilled coconut cream, just the thick white part, not the liquid into a large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip the coconut cream until it gets fluffy, start adding the powdered sugar a little at a time, whipping until it is all incorporated.
- Then start adding the cake mix a little at a time, whipping,until it is thick and fluffy. Then whip in the vanilla and a pinch of salt. When the everything is incorporated and your ice cream is thick, and firm, stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour into a freezer safe container, smooth out evenly, and freeze overnight.
- When you are ready to make the sandwiches, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the vegan butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Until fluffy and light.
- Make flax eggs, by mixing the flax and water in a small bowl, set aside to thicken for a minute. Add the flax eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, then add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a little at a time, mixing after each addition until fully incorporated. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Roll small scoops of dough in your hands and place on a prepared baking sheet, press down slightly to flatten. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Place a scoop of ice cream on one cookie, then top with a second. Roll in more sprinkles if you want. Enjoy! Store in freezer!