Your cookouts are about to get way more exciting!
Never have I ever had a potato salad more delicious than this vegan potato salad. I’m a person who loves her potato salad. There is just something about this perfect ranch dressing with fresh herbs and this incredible shiitake mushroom bacon. Tossed with diced potatoes and more fresh herbs. Life as you know it, will forever be changed. Whatever you thought about potato salad in the past will now be a fleeting memory.
Since spring is here and summer is approaching, I wanted to focus a lot on picnic and BBQ potluck/cookout types of food. Dishes you can bring to any summertime party to impress your friends. So this recipe for potato salad makes a lot, so you can share! It also tastes amazing warm, right when you finish it, if you want to make it for dinner. Or eat cold! Make it ahead of time and take it to someone else’s house.
I’ve eaten it warm and cold, and I love it both ways! This vegan potato salad is really easy to throw together. You just toss sliced shiitakes in a quick marinade and bake them until they are crispy. Then boil potatoes and whisk together the ranch dressing. When the potatoes and shiitakes are done, you just toss everything together. You’ll be glad there is a lot of it, trust!
This is the perfect side dish for all your veggie burgers, seitan ribs or any kind of BBQ really. I served mine with my cheesy jalapeno burgers the other day, and it may have been my favorite day ever! There is not a single person who won’t bow down to you for bringing this wonder into their lives!
Vegan Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 8 Ounces Shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons Soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 Cup Vegan mayo
- 1/4 Cup Non-dairy milk, I used soy milk
- 1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White vinegar
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
For the Potato Salad
- 3 Pounds Potatoes, I used russet, diced into small cubes
- Green onions or chives for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- Now, add your thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms to a bowl.
- Pour the soy sauce or coconut aminos, the olive oil, the maple syrup and the liquid smoke over the mushrooms, Then sprinkle with the garlic powder and the smoked paprika. Toss the shiitakes with all of the seasonings and coat them completely. You should have just enough of the seasoning, so make sure to stir and toss thoroughly to make sure they are all coated.
- Now, spread the shiitakes on a sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Spread them out in a single layer. Then bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, then toss them and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until they are brown and crispy.
- In the meantime, make the ranch dressing. Add all of the ranch ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk to combined completely and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Then, add your diced potatoes to a large pot of water. Bring it to a boil and boil the potatoes for about 10-15 minutes or until they are soft and can be smashed with a fork. Drain and let cool.
- Once the shiitake bacon is done, remove from the oven and let it cool as well.
- When the shiitake bacon and potatoes have cooled to room temperature, add them both to a large mixing bowl. Then pour the ranch dressing on top. Toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately topped with green onions or chives. Or chill in the fridge and serve cold. It's delicious either way. This serves a crowd so it is great for parties!