Bread pudding meets apple pie! The best Fall treat!
Vegan apple pie bread pudding is the best bread pudding. Hands down. This is quick and so easy it is laughable. Takes about 10-15 minutes to prep and about 45 minutes to bake. So in about an hour’s time, you can be eating the greatest thing that has ever happened to bread pudding. The ingredients for this bread pudding are things you may already have. So, ya know. You should probably get started!
You may know this, but apple sauce is a great egg replacer. So, I decided the best route to take, would be to make the custard with almond milk, and apple sauce. Gives it a great apple flavor, and the perfect consistency. This bread pudding is moist and gets nice and caramelized. It tastes just like bread pudding and apple pie had a baby!
So the custard portion of the recipe is refined sugar free, then I just coated the apples in brown sugar, but if you want to make this totally refined sugar free, you can just use coconut sugar! Then coating the apples in corn starch as well, helps to keep the apples form getting to liquidy and making the pudding too wet. So, I recommend not skipping that step!
Now I say this is about as easy a dessert as you can make, because you really can’t mess this up. Whisk together the custard ingredients, add the bread to the custard, stir until all the bread has soaked up said custard. Put in baking dish. Toss chopped apples with brown sugar and corn starch, pour over the bread. Then bake. That is it.
I poured a vanilla glaze over my bread pudding, but it would be great with coconut whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream. Served warm so the ice cream starts to melt! Yes! Fall has arrived in the form of vegan apple pie bread pudding!
Vegan Apple Pie Bread Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Now, cut the bread into cubes and set aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, apple sauce, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup and salt until fully combined.
- Now, add the cubed bread to the almond milk/ apple sauce mixture. Stir to fully coat the bread in the mixture, and make sure it has absorbed all the liquid. Now pour the bread pudding into a 8 x 8 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Smooth out the pudding and set aside.
- Now in a medium sized mixing bowl, add the peeled and chopped apples, the brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir to completely coat the apples. Now, pour the apples on top of the bread pudding.
- Smooth out the apples. Now bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Until the apples are soft and caramelized a bit. Serve warm with toppings.