I spent the day by the pool last Sunday, and as always, as everything does, it got me thinking about food. What kind of food do I want on a day like this. Well, the answer is this vegan tzatziki pasta salad. Creamy,dairy free, thick and delicious tzatziki sauce, olives, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts, tossed with pasta. It is so perfect.
The vegan tzatziki sauce is cashew based, blended with cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and a nice amount of dill. It is so creamy and rich, but light and fresh at the same time. The saltiness of the olives is the perfect accompaniment to this sauce.
All in all, after the cashews have been soaked, this is a 15 minutes dish. Just boil the pasta, and make the sauce. Let the pasta cool a bit, toss everything together. The best idea for a quick weeknight dinner, or if you are having people over for a spring or summer cookout.
Also, since this is a totally dairy free pasta salad, you don’t have to worry about having it outside for a long time at an outside BBQ. Then you can dazzle all the non believers with your vegan powers of wonder! Everyone will be asking you to make this tzatziki pasta salad again.
Vegan Tzatziki Pasta Salad
- 16 oz. Pasta, I used bowtie pasta
- 1 C. Raw cashews, soaked
- 2 Tbsp. Almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Juice of 1 Lemon, large
- 1/2 an English cucumber, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Dill, fresh
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 C. Kalamata olives
- 1/2 C. Sun dried tomatoes, or fresh if you prefer
- 1/2 C. Artichoke hearts, chopped
- The cashews for the sauce need to be pre-soaked. I like to soak mine overnight. I just start soaking the night before I know I am going to make this. However, they need to be soaked for at least 3-4 hours. Or if you are in a pinch you can soak them in boiling water for 15-30 minutes.
- Once you are ready to make the pasta salad, cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the tzatziki sauce. Drain the cashews you soaked, then add them to a blender or food processor. Then add the almond milk, olive oil, lemon juice, cucumber, garlic, dill, salt and pepper.
- Blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed until the sauce is really nice and smooth, it may take a few minutes.
- Once the pasta is done, let cool for a little while. Then add the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Then add the olives, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts. Then pour the sauce on top.
- Toss everything together so the pasta is completely coated in the sauce and the veggies are evenly distributed. Serve immediately, or place in the fridge to serve cold later.