This post is sponsored by Smallhold Mushrooms! I never use ingredients I don’t love and these mushrooms are absolutely perfect and I highly recommend using them. You can find them at Whole Foods, Sprouts and other retailers.
I love mushrooms so much and the ones I got from Smallhold were just so beautiful, I really want to showcase them. This is absolutely the essential vegan creamy mushroom pasta. I pan seared the mushrooms first by putting them by themselves in a cast iron skillet. Then pressing them down with another skillet. This will give you maximum browning and the perfect mushroom texture. Then You just add the rest of the ingredients to the same skillet, making this a super fast and easy dish!
What You Need For This Vegan Mushroom Pasta:
- Mushrooms!: Obviously. I used a mixture of Smallhold Trumpet, Lion’s Mane and Oyster mushrooms.
- Vegan Butter and Olive Oil: I like to use this combination to sear the mushrooms.
- Garlic and Shallots: These are added after the mushrooms have browned.
- Vegan Heavy Cream: I used Silk, but I also like Country Crock Plant Butter.
- Lemon Juice and Zest, Vegan Parmesan, Chives and Parsley: To flavor the cream sauce.
- Pasta: I used vegan pappardelle.
I used to hate mushrooms when I was a kid. However, I realized as I got older, I just never had them cooked properly. I’m here to tell you, this is the best way to cook mushrooms. You can add them to lots of things, but this vegan creamy mushroom pasta is my favorite way to eat them. This pasta is highly addictive, you have been warned. Using such a beautiful variety of mushrooms makes this pasta even better. They all have different texture and flavor and they make this pasta umami heaven.
Why Should You Make This Quick and Easy Pasta?
- It is so freaking good.
- If you are a mushroom lover, this is where it’s at.
- The sear you get on these mushrooms with this method is insane.
- Quick and easy, plus only 11 ingredients including olive oil.
- This recipe is perfect for a weeknight, but also fancy enough for a date night.
The Essential Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 12 Ounces Pasta, I used vegan pappardelle
- 1 Cup Reserved pasta water
- 1 Pound(16oz.) Smallhold assorted mushrooms(I used Lion's Mane, Trumpet and oyster mushrooms)*
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 1 Cup Vegan heavy cream, I used Silk
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Violife
- 1/4 Cup Fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain when al dente, making sure to reserve about a cup of pasta water.
- While the pasta cooks, slice the mushrooms. Then heat the olive oil and vegan butter in a large non-stick or preferably a cast iron skillet on medium high.
- Add the mushrooms and spread them out into a single layer as much as possible.
- Place another heavy skillet on top of the mushrooms so that they are pressed down into the pan. Leave them for about 3 to 4 minutes. Check on them and see if one side of the mushrooms are golden brown. Once they are, flip the mushrooms and then press them down into the skillet again with the other pan.
- Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are completely golden brown. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet, toss with the mushrooms and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the shallots are translucent. Reducing heat as needed.
- Now, add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Pour about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water, the vegan cream, lemon juice and zest, vegan Parmesan and a pinch of salt and pepper over the pasta.
- Reduce heat to low. Toss to combine everything, and let the pasta heat with everything for a few minutes. Add more pasta water if you need it to be creamier.
- Turn off the heat, add the chives and parsley to the skillet. Toss with the pasta and mushrooms.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Adding more salt, pepper and lemon if needed.
- Serve immediately!