This is the best vegan cranberry custard pie! I get tired of the same old pies every year. Don’t get me wrong, I do love pumpkin, sweet potato, apple and pecan. However, if you are looking for something unique. Something just downright beautiful, this cranberry pie is for you. It is tart in the best way, kind of like a key lime pie or a lemon meringue pie! I think serving it with some sweet whipped topping makes it truly incredible. This pie is super easy and the filling is made entirely on the stove top and then you just let it cool.
What You Need For This Perfect Holiday Pie:
- Cranberries and Cranberry Juice: Fresh cranberries and pure cranberry juice.
- Cane Sugar: This definitely needs the sweetness.
- Vegan Heavy Cream or Milk: I like to use Country Crock Plant Cream.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the custard.
- Vegan Pie Crust: You can use store bought or homemade!
This vegan cranberry custard pie is super easy. Only requires 7 ingredients and takes very little time to make. Especially if you use a premade crust. All you need to do is bake the crust, cook your custard on the stove top. Put it together and then let it chill. The filling is a no bake filling! When you are ready to serve, top with some vegan whipped cream. I love to candy some of the fresh cranberries as well to put on top and make this pie extra beautiful!
Why Should You Make This Cranberry Dessert?
- It is just beautiful. The color is a showstopper.
- This pie is really easy to make and mostly made on the stovetop.
- I love a sweet and tart pie, they are some of my favorite kinds of desserts.
- If you are looking for something unique and not the run of the mill pie, this is your best bet!
- It is so incredibly festive!
The Best Vegan Cranberry Custard Pie
- 16 Ounces Fresh cranberries
- 1 Cup Cranberry juice, pure cranberry, not cranberry cocktail or mixed with anything
- 1 1/2 Cup Organic cane sugar, divided
- Pinch of Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Vegan heavy cream or non-dairy milk
- 1 9 inch Vegan Pie crust, homemade or store bought*
- Vegan whipped cream for topping
- Bake the pie crust according to package directions or recipe directions. You want to bake until completely done and golden brown. You won't be baking the filling, so the crust needs to be done.
- While the crust bakes, make the filling. In a medium sized saucepan, heat the cranberries, cranberry juice and 1/2 cup of sugar on medium. Simmer, stirring frequently until the cranberries have all burst. About 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt to the cranberries and stir. Then using an immersion blender, or pour the cranberry sauce into a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the cranberry sauce through a mesh strainer and push it through into a large bowl. Making sure it is completely smooth and it removes and seeds left behind. Set aside.
- Now, using the same saucepan, that is now empty, pour the remaining 1 cup of sugar and the cornstarch into the pan.
- Whisk to completely combine the sugar and cornstarch, making sure there are no lumps of cornstarch left.
- Pour the vegan cream or non-dairy milk into the pan and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Now, heat the saucepan on medium. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly, until the cream sauce gets nice and thick. It should coat the back of the spoon. Reduce heat to low.
- Then pour the cranberry sauce into the saucepan and whisk to combine it with the cream sauce. Continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes. The mixture should be nice and thick.
- Once the pie crust is done, let it cool for a few minutes. Then pour the cranberry custard filling into the pie crust and smooth it out evenly.
- Let the pie cool on the counter for about 30 minutes. Then put in the fridge and chill overnight.
- When ready to serve, top with vegan whipped cream and serve!
- I like to put candied cranberries on top to make it look pretty, I'll link the recipe i use below!