These are not only the best vegan chocolate turtles, they are the easiest! The entirety of this yummy treat can be made in the microwave. Super fast and incredible caramel made right in the microwave in a 6-7 minutes. Then you stir toasted pecans into the caramel. Let them set and then melt the chocolate in the microwave and coat the turtles. You can decorate them with pecans for a head and legs. Or just do it the lazy way I like to, and sprinkle chopped pecans on top. Perfect for the holidays when you just want a fast treat to share!
What You Need For These Chocolate Pecan Treats:
- Vegan Butter: I used Country Crock Plant Butter.
- Brown Sugar and Cane Sugar: This combination creates a very rich flavor.
- Corn Syrup: Light corn syrup.
- Coconut Cream: You want the thick canned kind.
- Vanilla: This goes in once the caramel is done cooking.
- Pecans: Toasted and salted.
- Vegan Chocolate: I used Enjoy Life brand.
I understand that not everyone has a microwave/doesn’t love using one. So if you are looking for an alternative to make the best vegan chocolate turtles, no worries. You can make this all on the stove top as well. You just want to simmer your caramel until it hits about 235 degrees(F). You can also melt the chocolate using a double boiler method so you bypass the microwave completely. This takes a little more time, but is a totally viable option.
Why Should You Make These Dairy-Free Turtles?
- They are sooooo easy, like it is ridiculous.
- Everyone will love them!
- You absolutely would never know they are vegan.
- The perfect holiday treat.
- Kids and adults will go nuts for them!
The Best Vegan Chocolate Turtles
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the butter in the microwave until the butter has melted. Remove from the microwave.
- Add the brown sugar, cane sugar, corn syrup and coconut cream to the bowl with the melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Return to the microwave and cook for 6-7 minutes. You want to check the caramel with a candy thermometer* and you want the caramel to reach 235 degrees(F), or the soft ball stage.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired temperature, remove it from the microwave and then add in the vanilla and salt to the caramel. Whisk to combine everything.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the roasted pecans into the caramel, reserving the remaining 1/2 cup for topping, and stir to combine. Let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, scoop dollops, about 1- 1 1/2 Tbsp of the caramel and pecan mixture on to a silicone mat or parchment paper about an inch apart.
- Let the caramel cool completely.
- Now, put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate has melted. Stir until nice and smooth.
- Dip each caramel into the chocolate and coat, letting the excess chocolate drizzle off. Then lay the caramels back on the mat or paper.
- Sprinkle the tops of evenly with the remaining chopped pecans.
- Let the chocolate cool and harden completely. Then serve!