This Vegan Bang Bang Broccoli put me on the map! It was the first recipe I developed that really exploded. I decided it was time to make a bang bang recipe that was made for summer grilling. These are the best vegan bang bang tofu skewers of all time. They are so easy, highly addictive and seriously yummy. These amazing tofu cubes are crispy and perfect. The bang bang sauce is absolutely incredible! It is spicy, sweet and creamy. I like to drizzle the sauce on top and then put the rest on the side for all your dipping needs.
What You Need For These Bang Bang Skewers:
- Vegan Mayo: Your favorite brand will work.
- Chili Paste: I like to use gochujang or sambal.
- Agave Syrup: Maple syrup will work too.
- Extra-Firm Tofu: You want extra firm or super firm will work too.
- Non-dairy Milk: I used oat milk.
- Vinegar: I used white, but apple cider or rice wine will work too.
- Cornstarch: This is what makes the tofu super crispy.
- Hot sauce: Or more chili paste.
These vegan bang bang tofu skewers are made gluten-free very easily by making sure you are using a gluten-free chili paste. The rest is already gluten-free since the crispiness is from cornstarch. This recipe only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. Or you can prep the tofu ahead of time and have the tofu pressed and then soaking. Then simply drain the marinade, toss the tofu with cornstarch. Then put the tofu cubes on skewers. Grill them or bake them if you prefer! This tofu is one of the best tasting tofu dishes I have ever had.
Why Should You Make This Tofu?
- This tofu is one of the best tofu dishes ever.
- It is so easy and quick.
- Perfect for grilling this summer.
- The sauce is truly incredible!
- Anyone who says they don’t like tofu, will definitely change their minds after trying this meal!
The Best Vegan Bang Bang Tofu Skewers
For The Tofu
For The Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Vegan mayo
- 2-3 Tablespoons Chili paste, sambal or gochujang
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- Scallions or chives
- Sesame seeds
- This will make 6 tofu skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, you want to soak them in water while you prep everything so they don't burn while you cook them.
- After you drain and press the tofu, cut the tofu into cubes. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk, vinegar and chili paste or hot sauce.
- Add the tofu cubes to the bowl and then toss to coat the tofu. Sprinkle with the salt and then toss again.
- Let the tofu marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the tofu marinates, make the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients to a small mixing bowl, using 2 tablespoons of chili paste if you want a less spicy sauce or 3 if you want it spicier. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Once the tofu has sat for 15 to 20 minutes, drain the excess liquid, but leave the tofu in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the tofu and then toss to coat the tofu in the cornstarch.
- Now, slide the tofu cubes onto the skewers. I like to put about 4 cubes per skewer.
- Brush the tofu cubes with oil or spray with non-stick spray, making sure there are no dry spots of cornstarch left.
- Grill the tofu skewers on a grill or grill pan for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Or preheat the oven to 425 degrees(F), then put the tofu skewers on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tofu is crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle another pinch of salt over the tofu and then drizzle with the sauce and serve more sauce on the side for dipping. Top with scallions or chives and sesame seeds if desired.