This roasted apple and root vegetable vegan stuffing is a stove top stuffing which is my absolute favorite kind. Just roast apples and veggies, then stir together with bread cubes and broth. Simple and very, very good! This stuffing has a sweet and salty thing going on with the roasted apples and veggies. You can roast any veggies you want for this stuffing. I love to use carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes.
If you have never made stuffing from scratch, it is incredibly easy. You may be pretty surprised. Traditional stuff has sauteed vegetables, usually carrots, onions and celery. Then the bread cubes are combined with broth and the sauteed veggies. I thought I would switch it up and make my stuffing even more fall friendly and special with roasted root vegetables. I LOVE a good roasted veggie in the fall!
There should be no Thanksgiving table that doesn’t have this roasted apple and root vegetable vegan stuffing on it. I seriously can’t do Thanksgiving without some amazing vegan stuffing. Of course the easier it is the better. I generally make it even easier by using packaged bread cubes made for stuffing. Most brands are accidentally vegan which is totally awesome in my book.
If you don’t want to use packaged bread cubes, or you can’t find vegan ones, it is super easy to make your own. You just need to cut a crusty loaf of bread into small cubes and toast them until they are firm and crunchy. Then mix those with the other stuffing ingredients and voila! Crunchy bread, roasted veggies and apples, vegetable broth and a few spices and there you have it, my favorite fall stuffing recipe. It is a huge crowd pleaser and it makes enough to feed said crowd.
Roasted Apple and Root Vegetable Vegan Stuffing
- 2 Large Apples(about 2 cups),diced
- 2 Large Carrots(about 1 cup), diced
- 1 Large Parsnip(about 1/2 cup),diced
- 2 Large Sweet potatoes(about 2 1/2-3 Cups),diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3 Cups Vegetable broth*
- 1 teaspoon Poultry seasoning (usually contains Thyme, Sage, Rosemary and Nutmeg)
- 12 Ounces Bread cubes or stuffing bread, I used Whole Foods brand
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Spread the apples, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and garlic on to a large sheet pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the apples and veggies and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to coat everything in oil and salt and pepper.
- Spread out evenly on the sheet pan, then bake for 15 minutes. Toss the apples and veggies, spread them back out, then bake for 15 more minutes or until everything is light brown. Remove from the oven.
- Now, in a large pot, heat the vegetable broth on medium, bring to a simmer, then stir in the poultry seasoning.
- Reduce heat to low, and then pour the bread cubes into the broth. Stir to let the bread soak up the broth. Then pour the roasted apples and veggies into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.