This popcorn vegan fried “chicken” is *chef’s kiss*! I think I cracked the code on the most incredible vegan popcorn chicken. Soy curls, soaked in vegan chicken flavoring. Tossed in vegan yogurt and hot sauce. Then dredged in a very yummy dry coating. Fried to perfection, either in oil or air fried! They are so poppable, ridiculously delicious and can be served plain or tossed in your favorite sauce. I highly recommend serving them on top of some vegan smoked gouda creamed corn with a drizzle of hot sauce.
What You Need For This Vegan Fried “Chicken”:
- Soy Curls: I recommend ordering in bulk, you can use them for so much! I get them from Butler’s Soy Curls website.
- Water and Vegan Chicken Bouillon: This is to soak the soy curls and give them flavor. You can also use vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Vegan Yogurt and Hot Sauce: To coat the soy curls and make the dry ingredients stick.
- Flour, Cornstarch and Baking Powder: For the dry coating.
- Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Oregano, Thyme, Cayenne and Salt: To season the dry ingredients that become the breading.
- Oil or Non-stick Spray: For either deep frying or air frying.
I think you guys probably know by now that southern food is my favorite food! So, when I thought about what I wanted to serve my popcorn vegan fried “chicken” with, the only answer for me was some creamed corn. A spoon full of Vegan Smoked Gouda Creamed Corn with some popcorn “chicken” and a drizzle of hot sauce is one of the best spoonfuls of food ever. I felt like I could die happy after eating a bowl full of this magic.
Why Should You Make This Plant-Based Popcorn “Chicken”?
- It is the easiest, crispiest, and tastiest vegan popcorn “chicken”.
- This popcorn “chicken” can be tossed in so many different sauces or served as is.
- You can get a very similar result by air-frying them!
- Kid and adult approved.
- One of my most favorite comfort foods!
Popcorn Vegan Fried “Chicken”
- 2 Cups Soy curls, I used Butler's (about 6 oz)
- 3 Cups Warm water
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan "chicken" bouillon (like Better Than)*
- 1/3 Cup Plain vegan yogurt, I used Kite Hill
- 1 teaspoon Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt + more for topping
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying or non-stick spray for air-frying
- Start by rehydrating the soy curls. In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water and vegan "chicken" bouillon until it dissolves.
- Add the soy curls and let them sit and rehydrate for about 15 minutes. Then drain(you can reserve the liquid for another use), squeeze as much liquid out of the soy curls as you can. Then put them into a dry bowl.
- Pour the vegan yogurt and hot sauce over the soy curls and toss to coat them evenly. Let them sit while you make the dry mixture.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and all the spices.
- Then put the soy curls into the bowl with the dry ingredients and toss to thoroughly coat them in the dry mixture.
- Now, you can deep fry them or air fry them. If deep frying, in a medium sized sauce pan, heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil on high until small bubbles form.
- Then in 3 or 4 batches, so you don't over crowd the pan, fry the soy curls, reducing heat as needed(if the oil starts to smoke, it is getting too hot), for about 3 to 4 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Put them on a paper towel and sprinkle the tops with a few more pinches of salt.
- If you want to air fry them, heat the air fryer to 400 degrees(F), then spray the soy curls with non-stick spray generously so there are no dry flour spots. Air fry for 5 minutes, toss, spraying more non-stick spray if needed, then air fry for 3 to 5 more minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt.
- Serve immediately, either plain with dips, over vegan smoked gouda creamed corn or tossed in your favorite sauce!