Day 2 of my 12 days of vegan Christmas cookies, are my childhood favorites, thumbprint cookies. When a was a wee one, my mom used to bake thousands of Christmas cookies every year to hand out to friends. She would put them in festive tins, and give them to everyone! One of her classics were the jam thumbprint cookie. They were my favorite! She would fill them with different kinds of jam and it was my job to help press the cookies down with my thumb and fill them with jam. My favorite flavors were blackberry and raspberry! We would shake a beautiful flurry of powdered sugar on top, and there was nothing better! I wanted to take the time to show you all how to make a vegan version, so you can share with your loved ones.
This year I went with a blackberry jam, but you can use anything your heart desires! I added a bit more vanilla than I usually would to a cookie, because I love the combination of the vanilla with fruit jams and jellies! If you have list of cookies you want to make this holiday season, you should go ahead and add this to the list, and here is why. This recipe is 7 ingredients, one bowl, and I really just used a spoon to stir together. It is so easy, you really don’t even need a stand mixer or electric beaters. You can bust these out in about 20 minutes, total.
These cookies are so buttery, yet light and crispy. Totally the most perfect treat. I like to use no sugar added jam, the kind that just lets the sweetness of the fruit speak for its self. I think the jam that has a more mild sweetness pairs really well with the sweet dough. It cuts some of the richness! The dough is so easy to work with, you don’t even need to refrigerate the dough. You just pluck some of the perfect supple dough, and roll into balls. Press down with a thumb or spoon if you prefer. Fill with your favorite jam, and bake. I love to dust with sugar, but you can add nuts or chocolate, or whatever you want. This is where I like to get creative. Even if you aren’t a great chef, using an easy recipe like this affords you a little bit of room to explore!
- 1 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance(room temperature)
- 1/2 C. Powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Almond milk
- 2 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Fruit jam
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the vegan butter and powdered sugar. Stir together.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, flour and salt. Stir together until everything is combined evenly.
- Roll small balls of the dough and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Press down in the center with your thumb or spoon. Fill the indentation with about 1/2-1 tsp of jam.
- Bake at 325 for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool, then top with powdered sugar!
- If the dough is too crumbly, add a splash more almond milk.
- When you press your thumb in to make an indent, the dough will probably start to crack a bit on the sides. No need to worry, they will be perfect. If it bothers you, just press the sides back together.